zsh-users
* Re: Support for Solaris 2.6 and 2.7?
       [not found] <8F6C90BF40FFD211948B0001FA7E51660F9075D3@xcem-casfo-13.wellsfargo.com>
@ 2002-09-24 17:54 ` Bill Burton
From: Bill Burton @ 2002-09-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Hello Eric,

Eric.D.Friedman wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I built zsh-4.0.2 on solaris 2.6 (and use the same copy on 2.8), but ldd
> doesn't indicate that that library is linked.

That's good because libcurses.so doesn't seem to exist on 2.6 :)  It does
exist on 2.7 and 2.8.  It would appear there's a problem in the configure
script probing in 4.0.6 that wasn't an issue in 4.0.2.

> FYI, zsh is available as a pkg for solaris, so that might be the easiest way
> to resolve this. ;-)

Yes, we have that package already installed on our 2.8 boxes as it's
included with Solaris but it's only zsh 3.x.

Just found 4.0.4 on http://www.sunfreeware.com and it requires ncurses for
Solaris 2.6.  I'll try this for our three 2.6 boxes and then rebuild our
NFS version under 2.7.

-Bill

@ 2002-09-24 18:07   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-09-24 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list

Bill Burton wrote:
> Just found 4.0.4 on http://www.sunfreeware.com and it requires ncurses for
> Solaris 2.6.  I'll try this for our three 2.6 boxes and then rebuild our
> NFS version under 2.7.

The standard zsh doesn't.  Static curses or termcap is definitely fine
for all versions of zsh.  I'm using it with unenhanced curses now.

pws

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: Support for Solaris 2.6 and 2.7?
@ 2002-09-24 20:44   ` Bill Burton
From: Bill Burton @ 2002-09-24 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Hello,

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> Bill Burton wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I built zsh version 4.0.6 on Solaris 2.6 for use on 2.6 through 2.8.
> > However, executable only works on Solaris 2.8.  On 2.6, it can't find
> > /usr/lib/libcurses.so.1 so it bails.  On 2.7, it exits silently (no
> > messages) with an exit status of 1.
> >
> > So is anyone running version 4.0.x successfully on Solaris 2.6 or 2.7?
>
> Yes, I compile on 2.6 and it works on both 2.6 and 2.8.

Okay.

> I also compile on 2.8, and running on 2.6 shows an error like the one
> your seeing.  I would therefore be worried your configuration is picking
> up some `contamination' from 2.8 and you need to configure and compile
> from scratch on a 2.6 machine; at least, I can't explain the result
> otherwise.

That's what I did originally and it failed to run on 2.6.  Since in
general, compiling on a lower OS version alows running on higher versions,
I unpacked the 4.0.6 distro into a clean directory and ran configure/make
on a 2.6 box.  Configure just assumed there was a /usr/lib/libcurses.so.1
but there isn't on 2.6.

I tried rebuilding from scratch again on 2.6 and it works on 2.6, 2.7 and
2.8.  All I can think of is I must have somehow been running a version
built with 2.8.  Probably a link I'd created.

Sorry for the noise ...

Thanks,
-Bill

@ 2002-09-24 17:59 ` Paul Lew
From: Paul Lew @ 2002-09-24 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Burton; +Cc: Zsh users

    Bill> Hello, I built zsh version 4.0.6 on Solaris 2.6 for use on
    Bill> 2.6 through 2.8.  However, executable only works on Solaris
    Bill> 2.8.  On 2.6, it can't find /usr/lib/libcurses.so.1 so it
    Bill> bails.  On 2.7, it exits silently (no messages) with an exit
    Bill> status of 1.

    Bill> So is anyone running version 4.0.x successfully on Solaris
    Bill> 2.6 or 2.7?

I have been running zsh 4.0.5 on solaris 2.6, 7, 8, and 9:

> echo $ZSH_VERSION
4.0.5

> ldd =zsh
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libm.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libm.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
        /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise/lib/libc_psr.so.1

* Re: Support for Solaris 2.6 and 2.7?
@ 2002-09-24 17:43 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-09-24 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list