zsh-users
* regular expressions and setting variables?
@ 2014-06-10  5:02 William G. Scott
From: William G. Scott @ 2014-06-10  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi folks:

I’m trying to emulate how iTunes changes some names of directories it creates based on names of artists.  For example, albums by the group R.E.M. are stored in a directory it creates called R.E.M_

The final full-stop is replaced with an underscore, I assume to avoid complications in the unix filesystem.

This works:

 JUNK=R.E.M.
 print ${JUNK}| perl -p -e 's|\.$|_|g’

It returns
R.E.M_

But if I try to do this:

print ${JUNK/\.$/_}

it returns
R.E.M.

I assume I am not using the correct regexp.  What do I need to do to get this working?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Scott

* Re: regular expressions and setting variables?
@ 2014-06-10 14:26   ` William G. Scott
From: William G. Scott @ 2014-06-10 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock; +Cc: zsh-users

On Jun 10, 2014, at 1:45 AM, Phil Pennock <zsh-workers+phil.pennock@spodhuis.org> wrote:

> ${name/pattern/repl} does not use regular expressions, it uses shell
> patterns.
>
> Described in zshexpn(1) under "PARAMETER EXPANSION".
>
> % echo ${JUNK/%./_}
> R.E.M_
>
> -Phil

Thanks very much to all who replied.  I didn’t even realize there was a difference (sorry).

— Bill

* Re: regular expressions and setting variables?
@ 2014-06-10 14:11 ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2014-06-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

"William G. Scott" <wgscott@ucsc.edu> wrote in

> Hi folks:
>
> I’m trying to emulate how iTunes changes some names of directories it
> creates based on names of artists.  For example, albums by the group
> R.E.M. are stored in a directory it creates called R.E.M_
>
> The final full-stop is replaced with an underscore, I assume to avoid
:

> JUNK=R.E.M.
> print ${JUNK}| perl -p -e 's|\.$|_|g’
>
> It returns
> R.E.M_
>

> But if I try to do this:
>
> print ${JUNK/\.$/_}

JUNK=R.E.M.
print ${JUNK/\.(#e)/\_}

--
zzapper
https://twitter.com/dailyzshtip

---

* Re: regular expressions and setting variables?
@ 2014-06-10  8:45 ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2014-06-10  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William G. Scott; +Cc: zsh-users

@ 2014-06-10  6:17 ` Roman Neuhauser
From: Roman Neuhauser @ 2014-06-10  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William G. Scott; +Cc: zsh-users

# wgscott@ucsc.edu / 2014-06-09 22:04:20 -0700:
> I?m trying to emulate how iTunes changes some names of directories it
> creates based on names of artists.  For example, albums by the group
> R.E.M. are stored in a directory it creates called R.E.M_
>
> The final full-stop is replaced with an underscore, I assume to avoid
> complications in the unix filesystem.

i doubt that.  "the unix filesystem" does not care about names at all,
well, almost: a filename cannot contain slashes and null bytes.
slash, because these are used to separate "foo" from "bar" in "foo/bar",
and null bytes, because "foo" and "bar" are stored in the filesystem
as C strings, where the null byte is used as terminator.

windows filesystems OTOH, among other limitations, prohibit names
ending with a dot.

> This works:
>
> JUNK=R.E.M.
> print ${JUNK}| perl -p -e 's|\.$|_|g?
>
> It returns
> R.E.M_
>

> But if I try to do this:
>
> print ${JUNK/\.$/_}
>
> it returns
> R.E.M.
>
> I assume I am not using the correct regexp.

kinda, the ${param/pat/rep} operation does not use regexps, the pattern
expects the globbing ("filename generation") syntax.

> What do I need to do to get this working?

man zshexpn.

--
roman

* regular expressions and setting variables?
@ 2014-06-10  5:04 William G. Scott
                   ` (2 more replies)