zsh-users
* problem with completion system
@ 2015-07-18  7:01 covici
From: covici @ 2015-07-18  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi.  I am new to zsh, so I hope I explain myself clearly.  When
completing things -- particularly files -- sometimes the system will
tell  me the choices and then place the cursor at the end of the first
choice, so if that is not the one I want, I must then backspace to the
point where I started and do again -- what I would like is for the
system to leave the cursorwhere it was so I can type some more.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: problem with completion system
@ 2015-07-18 10:16 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2015-07-18 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: covici; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 9:01 AM,  <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Hi.  I am new to zsh, so I hope I explain myself clearly.  When
> completing things -- particularly files -- sometimes the system will
> tell  me the choices and then place the cursor at the end of the first
> choice, so if that is not the one I want, I must then backspace to the
> point where I started and do again -- what I would like is for the
> system to leave the cursorwhere it was so I can type some more.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The behaviour you say you want is the default, so you could start by
removing your customizations, or saying what they are so we can point
out which are changing the behaviour, rather than guessing.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: problem with completion system
@ 2015-07-18 12:05   ` covici
From: covici @ 2015-07-18 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: Zsh Users

hmmm, I am using zprezto, but I have the following zshrc as well

#
# Executes commands at the start of an interactive session.
#
# Authors:
#   Sorin Ionescu <sorin.ionescu@gmail.com>
#

# Source Prezto.
if [[ -s "${ZDOTDIR:-$HOME}/.zprezto/init.zsh" ]]; then
  source "${ZDOTDIR:-$HOME}/.zprezto/init.zsh"
fi
alias ls='ls -1 -F -a'
alias cp='cp -p'
alias vsound='vsound  -t'
alias rsyncwlym='rsync --progress -avh -e "ssh -p 2222 -l covici"'
alias rsyncasterisk='rsync --progress -av -e "ssh -l martin"'
umask o-rx
prompt gentoo
setopt clobber

# Customize to your needs...

@ 2015-07-18 17:28     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2015-07-18 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users; +Cc: covici

On Jul 18,  8:05am, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
}
} hmmm, I am using zprezto

In that case if there's a mailing list or other forum for prezto, I
suggest you ask your question there.  Plugin systems like oh-my-zsh
and prezto can be very nice, but they reconfigure so many things that
it's really not practical for us to try to debug them.

* Re: problem with completion system
@ 2015-07-18 17:54       ` covici
From: covici @ 2015-07-18 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Users

I don't know of any mailing list for that -- maybe I will have to forget
about them and do my own -- I thought it would save me some time, but
maybe not.

@ 2015-07-18 18:05         ` Andrew Janke
From: Andrew Janke @ 2015-07-18 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: covici, Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Users

The main resource for Prezto support (as with Oh My Zsh) is its GitHub
project and associated issue tracker
(https://github.com/sorin-ionescu/prezto). Searching its issues
(including the closed ones) or posting an issue of your own if you can't
figure it out could get you help. They'll be more familiar with it than
the main zsh mailing lists will.

Prezto's completion-related stuff is set up in
prezto/modules/completion/init.zsh. Browse through that to see what it's
doing. It is commented. You probably care about the ALWAYS_TO_END,
MENU_COMPLETE, and COMPLETE_IN_WORD options.
https://github.com/sorin-ionescu/prezto/blob/6a812ed36bad9032df3645277793f5827dd64088/modules/completion/init.zsh#L25

Prezto, OMZ, and Antigen can be good on-ramps to zsh, but like Bart
says, they set and implement so many things that they diverge from
default zsh, and you need to use them and their source code as your main
reference and learning tool.

Cheers,
Andrew

@ 2015-07-18 18:25           ` covici
From: covici @ 2015-07-18 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Janke; +Cc: Bart Schaefer, Zsh Users

OK, thanks much.  I did put anissue on there about something else and
have not heard back.  I found those variables in the init.zsh, so maybe
that will help.  I am also slowly making my way through the manual, so
maybe I will know something soon.  Zsh has advantages, but it has quite
a learning curve.  But then lots of things are like that.