zsh-users
* Bang Executing Perl Scripts
@ 2011-01-24 20:41 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2011-01-24 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi
Until now I've been writing zsh wrappers for my perl scripts:-

I've got
alias -s pl=perl
So I can execute a script just by typing its name

> /usr/local/bin/info.pl

But I want to execute it from anywhere , but it doesn't seem to notice perl
scripts even if they are in my $path or $fpath

I can however do:-

>=info.pl

Is there a better way

And finally I'd really like to execute it just with

--
zzapper
http://zzapper.co.uk/ Technical Tips

* Re: Bang Executing Perl Scripts
@ 2011-01-24 21:11 ` Guillaume Brunerie
From: Guillaume Brunerie @ 2011-01-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: zsh-users

2011/1/24 zzapper <david@tvis.co.uk>

> Hi
> Until now I've been writing zsh wrappers for my perl scripts:-
>
> I've got
> alias -s pl=perl
> So I can execute a script just by typing its name
>
> > /usr/local/bin/info.pl
>
> But I want to execute it from anywhere , but it doesn't seem to notice perl
> scripts even if they are in my $path or $fpath
>
> I can however do:-
>
> >=info.pl
>
> Is there a better way
>
> And finally I'd really like to execute it just with
>
> >info

Hi,
Why not putting #!/usr/bin/perl as the first line of your perl scripts?

Guillaume

* Re: Bang Executing Perl Scripts
@ 2011-01-24 21:52   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2011-01-24 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Guillaume Brunerie wrote in

> Hi,
> Why not putting #!/usr/bin/perl as the first line of your perl scripts?
>
> Guillaume

It is already.

BTW I've found that I can do

>=info

Which is pretty much good enough for me!

( and also my script isn't actually named info I just chose that as an
example, a bad example as of course info already exists as a man reader )

--

@ 2011-01-24 22:14   ` François Revol
From: François Revol @ 2011-01-24 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Brunerie; +Cc: zzapper, zsh-users

Le 24 janv. 2011 à 22:11, Guillaume Brunerie a écrit :

> 2011/1/24 zzapper <david@tvis.co.uk>
>
>> Hi
>> Until now I've been writing zsh wrappers for my perl scripts:-
>>
>> I've got
>> alias -s pl=perl
>> So I can execute a script just by typing its name
>>
>>> /usr/local/bin/info.pl
>>>

> Hi,
> Why not putting #!/usr/bin/perl as the first line of your perl scripts?

This is not portable.
BeOS and Haiku do not have /usr for ex, so perl is elsewhere.
(and so is env, so using #!/usr/bin/env perl is just moving the problem around)

François.

* Re: Bang Executing Perl Scripts
@ 2011-01-24 22:38     ` Corwin Zechar
From: Corwin Zechar @ 2011-01-24 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Revol; +Cc: Guillaume Brunerie, zzapper, zsh-users

Perhaps a better solution is to leave the shebang (#!/usr/bin/perl) out
of your Perl scripts; ensure that perl appears in your path and run your
scripts via:

% perl myscript.pl

Be sure to add execute privs to each Perl script.

Further, you could create a zsh function to prepend each Perl script
with "perl " so that you only need type:

% myscript.pl

CZ