zsh-users
* Extended attributes (module and article)
@ 2012-01-11 20:52 Micah Elliott
From: Micah Elliott @ 2012-01-11 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Hi! I was peeking at the `zsh/attr` module docs and trying to figure
out why it exists. Is it significantly different from the standard
getfattr/setfattr/attr utils (which already have nice completions and
look more featureful)? Does it serve to abstract say Linux's xattr and
Mac's xattr systems? I'm really only using Linux, but I guess that
could be a reason to use the zsh module.

Also, does anyone know what's up with this old-but-probably-awesome
Linux Mag article by Oliver? http://www.linux-mag.com/id/2126/ I swear
I was reading it fully just last week, but now it's truncated and I
can't find an archive of it. Oliver -- do you have the original still,
ideally in a format where LM hasn't html-munged the nice ascii chars
into mdash, etc.? Oh, here's an archive that looks intact, but still
should probably be re-posted somewhere where others will find it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070124200204/http://www.linux-mag.com/id/2126/

--
twitter:@MicahElliott  |  email:mde@MicahElliott.com  |  http://membean.com
Remember your words with Membean!

* Re: Extended attributes (module and article)
@ 2012-01-11 21:00 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2012-01-11 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Micah Elliott; +Cc: Zsh Users

On 11 January 2012 21:52, Micah Elliott <mde@micahelliott.com> wrote:
> Hi! I was peeking at the `zsh/attr` module docs and trying to figure
> out why it exists. Is it significantly different from the standard
> getfattr/setfattr/attr utils (which already have nice completions and
> look more featureful)? Does it serve to abstract say Linux's xattr and
> Mac's xattr systems? I'm really only using Linux, but I guess that
> could be a reason to use the zsh module.

I wrote it for use with the *(e::) globbing syntax, where calling out
to an external binary for hundreds/thousands of files is just way way
too slow. eg

#usage, *(e:fattr name:) or *(e:fattr name value:)
function fattr() {
  local val
  zgetattr $REPLY user.$1 val 2>/dev/null
  [[ -n "$val" && ( -z "$2" || "$val" =~ "$2" ) ]]
}

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Extended attributes (module and article)
@ 2012-01-11 23:36 ` François Revol
From: François Revol @ 2012-01-11 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 11/01/2012 21:52, Micah Elliott wrote:
> Hi! I was peeking at the `zsh/attr` module docs and trying to figure
> out why it exists. Is it significantly different from the standard
> getfattr/setfattr/attr utils (which already have nice completions and
> look more featureful)? Does it serve to abstract say Linux's xattr and
> Mac's xattr systems? I'm really only using Linux, but I guess that
> could be a reason to use the zsh module.
>
> Also, does anyone know what's up with this old-but-probably-awesome
> Linux Mag article by Oliver? http://www.linux-mag.com/id/2126/ I swear
> I was reading it fully just last week, but now it's truncated and I
> can't find an archive of it. Oliver -- do you have the original still,
> ideally in a format where LM hasn't html-munged the nice ascii chars
> into mdash, etc.? Oh, here's an archive that looks intact, but still
> should probably be re-posted somewhere where others will find it:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070124200204/http://www.linux-mag.com/id/2126/

On this topic I'd propose you to read the paper I wrote for for DC-2011
conf, which describes in length issues with xattrs that none seems to
care about:

http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/dc-2011/paper/view/53

François.