zsh-users
From: "Lawrence Velázquez" <larryv@zsh.org>
To: zsh-users@zsh.org
Subject: Re: Default setting of ZLE keymap
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:53:18 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023, at 9:40 AM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 12:27:26 +0100 (BST) Peter Stephenson
>
> PS> > On 07/10/2023 22:13 Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> PS> > (1) The whole scheme of using VISUAL / EDITOR to select zsh bindings
> PS> > should be abandoned.  It's obsolete and no one uses those variables
> PS> > for that purpose any longer.  Zsh should default to emacs behavior
> PS> > unless an rc-file explicitly performs "bindkey -v".
> PS> >
> PS> > Throwing the question out to a wider audience: If the zsh-users list
> PS> > expresses no particular preference, or no need for #2, zsh-workers
> PS> > will proceed with #1.

I make use of the current behavior but am not attached to it and
don't have a preference between options #1 and #2.

> Still, I'm not sure how does "nobody uses EDITOR any longer" imply that
> zsh shouldn't select the default bindings if it is set

I read "no one uses [VISUAL/EDITOR] for that purpose any longer"
as meaning "no one uses them to select zsh bindings", not "no one
uses them at all".  As Eric and Peter noted, the current behavior
can be confusing.  (It's certainly tripped me up before.)

--
vq