zsh-users
From: Andrew Janke <andrew@apjanke.net>
To: Kurtis Rader <krader@skepticism.us>
Cc: Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com>, Zsh Users <zsh-users@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: PSA: Mac OS X El Capitan upgrade might break your $PATH
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 18:29:17 -0400	[thread overview]

On 7/31/15 6:01 PM, Kurtis Rader wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Andrew Janke <andrew@apjanke.net
> <mailto:andrew@apjanke.net>> wrote:
>

>     I suspect the order of entries in path_helper is determined by
>     alphabetical ordering of the filenames in /etc/paths.d, where
>     path_helper locates the files that come after the default system
>     paths. That "40-" in XQuartz looks like an rcdir-style technique
>     to enforce ordering, and I think the XQuartz folks know what
>     they're doing with the OS X system stuff. (This is on 10.9.)
>

> That would be fine if it simply appended those directories in that
> order to the existing PATH as the man page claims. But it is clearly
> using a hash based ordering and ignoring even the apparent ordering
> implied by the file names in /etc/paths.d. From my system:
>
> 14:45 macbook  coff  ~  ls /etc/paths.d
> 40-XQuartzgo
> 14:50 macbook  coff  ~  cat /etc/paths.d/*
> /opt/X11/bin
> /usr/local/go/bin
> 14:52 macbook  coff  ~  /usr/libexec/path_helper -s
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/go/bin:/Users/krader/bin:/Users/krader/sbin:/Users/krader/symlinks:/usr/local/sbin";
> export PATH;
> 14:52 macbook  coff  ~  echo $PATH
> /Users/krader/bin:/Users/krader/sbin:/Users/krader/symlinks:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/go/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

That path_helper output doesn't look random or hash based. That looks like:

- the system default paths (from /etc/paths) come first, in the order
specified in /etc/paths
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:

- then the stuff from /etc/paths.d, in filename alphabetical order
/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/go/bin:

- then any other item it found in $PATH at the time of its invocation,
in the order in which they appeared in $PATH.
/Users/krader/bin:/Users/krader/sbin:/Users/krader/symlinks:/usr/local/sbin

That lastpart isn't documented in `man path_helper`, but it behaved this
way consistently when I was testing it with various $PATH values. (on 10.9)

The man page could stand tobe more thorough and clear, but I don't think
it's randomly rearranging your path. And the `man path_helper` page does
indicate where the default paths come from, though it's buried a few
paragraphs down.

      Prior to reading these directories, default PATH and MANPATH
values are
      obtained from the files /etc/paths and /etc/manpaths respectively.