zsh-users
* virus and CVS issues
       [not found] ` <1056640792.844.46.camel@yoda.webz.dk>
@ 2003-06-26 16:24   ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2003-06-26 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

I contacted sunsite.dk people about the recent virus problem and
received this in reply:

> Hi,
>
> I have updated our virus signature database which had become ancient.
> Please let us know if it helps.
>
> We can also set up qconfirm in front of the lists (or some of them, if
> you wish). qconfirm is a tmda-like system which is written in C for
> speed.
>
> In the hopefully not too distant future we will also upgrade some
> machinery which will enable us to run spamassassin and thereby shoot
> down even more spam.

Hopefully that helps. I'm increasingly thinking that qconfirm, at least
for the users list would be a good idea. Especially if we get another
virus outbreak like this one.

Since I was e-mailing them anyway, I also enquired about CVS hosting
(problems with CVS currently being discussed on -workers). Response
on that issue was:

> Sure.. No problem.. We can host your cvs repository and we can make
> daily snapshots how ever you would like them to be. If you need other
> features I'm almost sure we can figure something out.
>
> As I said above we will be upgrading some hardware soon (sorry - can't
> give an exact date yet). This will mean some structural improvements to
> most of the systems we have set up. If you'd like to we will happily
> take in your cvs repository before the upgrade but I think that I would
> recommend that you wait for the upgrade to happen to ensure the most
> smooth migration. But that all depends on how desperate you are ;-)
>
> As always; if you have questions please don't hestitate to ask them.
> Here or on IRCnet channel #sunsite.

So with the daily snapshots not being a problem, that could be a good
option. Perhaps if we wait till sunsite have the new hardware and if SF
still has issues then, we can switch. Sound okay?

Oliver

* Re: virus and CVS issues
@ 2003-06-27 21:36     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-06-27 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Hopefully that helps. I'm increasingly thinking that qconfirm, at least
> for the users list would be a good idea. Especially if we get another
> virus outbreak like this one.

This looks like it's probably inevitable, even if it means separate
zsh-users and zsh-workers subscriptions.

> Since I was e-mailing them anyway, I also enquired about CVS hosting
> (problems with CVS currently being discussed on -workers).

Worth thinking about, but I'm not completely convinced this is going to
be better.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Work: pws@csr.com

* Re: virus and CVS issues
@ 2003-06-29 21:18       ` David Gómez
From: David Gómez @ 2003-06-29 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh users

> Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> > Hopefully that helps. I'm increasingly thinking that qconfirm, at least
> > for the users list would be a good idea. Especially if we get another
> > virus outbreak like this one.
>
> This looks like it's probably inevitable, even if it means separate
> zsh-users and zsh-workers subscriptions.

By the way, who is the admin of zsh-users and zsh-workers mailing lists? Is
it you Peter, or Bart? Whoever it is, PLEASE make subscription a requirement
to post to the lists. This virus thing is a bad joke that nobody seems to
worry about and solve, so the best solution is to make the lists closed for
posting to non-subscriptors.

It's a pity to have to leave this lists, as another people already did, just
because this virus/spam thing :(

--
David Gómez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
 whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

* Re: virus and CVS issues
@ 2003-06-30  9:58         ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-06-30  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

David =?iso-8859-15?Q?G=F3mez?= wrote:
> By the way, who is the admin of zsh-users and zsh-workers mailing lists? Is
> it you Peter, or Bart?

As Oliver indicated, the people who run the mailing list don't usually
read it but he will ask them to run qconfirm so that automatically sent
messages from people not subscribed won't appear on the list.

However, it's odd that this list is so badly affected.  If it means
there are now plenty of Windows users using zsh, then it's possible some
of the viruses actually came from people who *are* subscribed.

pws

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: virus and CVS issues
@ 2003-06-30 11:05           ` David Gómez
From: David Gómez @ 2003-06-30 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh users

Hi Peter,

> As Oliver indicated, the people who run the mailing list don't usually
> read it but he will ask them to run qconfirm so that automatically sent
> messages from people not subscribed won't appear on the list.

I'm glad to hear that

> However, it's odd that this list is so badly affected.  If it means
> there are now plenty of Windows users using zsh, then it's possible some
> of the viruses actually came from people who *are* subscribed.

It seems the virus resends itself again and again using different from address
:(

--

@ 2003-07-01 17:52     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-07-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

I will reiterate my offer to set up the zsh repository and mailing lists
at sources.redhat.com (aka sourceware.org) if anyone is interested.

We can offer cvs, web, ftp, and aggressively spam blocked mailing lists.

IIRC, the last time I offered this, it wasn't well received, but, what
the heck, I'm a glutton for punishment.

cgf

* Re: virus and CVS issues
@ 2003-07-01 17:58       ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-07-01 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> IIRC, the last time I offered this, it wasn't well received, but, what
> the heck, I'm a glutton for punishment.

It's helpful, but at the time we didn't feel the need to move.  It's
still not clear it's worth all the pain, but if Sourceforge continues to
be stodgy we may need to.

pws

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* a move offer? - was RE: virus and CVS issues
@ 2003-07-01 22:29         ` Clifford Caoile
From: Clifford Caoile @ 2003-07-01 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson, Zsh users

Peter Stephenson wrote:
| Christopher Faylor wrote:
| > IIRC, the last time I offered this, it wasn't well received, but, what
| > the heck, I'm a glutton for punishment.
|
| It's helpful, but at the time we didn't feel the need to move.  It's
| still not clear it's worth all the pain, but if Sourceforge continues to
| be stodgy we may need to.

I'm in no position to even say "let's move" or "let's stay", but I
appreciate the thought and generousity. It makes me feel all warm inside
even if it wasn't directed at me. Wow.

Question: If zsh repository is set up with sourceware.org, does this mean
zsh project can take advantage of all the sourceware.org ftp mirrors?

Smile!
Clifford Caoile

* Re: a move offer? - was RE: virus and CVS issues
@ 2003-07-02  9:50           ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-07-02  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users

"Clifford Caoile" wrote:
> I'm in no position to even say "let's move" or "let's stay", but I
> appreciate the thought and generousity. It makes me feel all warm inside
> even if it wasn't directed at me. Wow.

Yes, absolutely... by the way, I think there would be an advantage, if
we moved, of moving somewhere where the maintainer (or someone in the
same office) reads the list.  So RedHat or Debian would be good choices.

> Question: If zsh repository is set up with sourceware.org, does this mean
> zsh project can take advantage of all the sourceware.org ftp mirrors?

I would presume so.  It's quite nice having Geoff's archive that doesn't
move, too.

@ 2003-07-02  9:59       ` David Gómez
From: David Gómez @ 2003-07-02  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: Zsh users

Hi Cristopher,

> I will reiterate my offer to set up the zsh repository and mailing lists
> at sources.redhat.com (aka sourceware.org) if anyone is interested.
>
> We can offer cvs, web, ftp, and aggressively spam blocked mailing lists.

I hope that whoever can take that decision, chooses to change the list
to sources.redhat.com. I'm subscribed to another sources.redhat.com mailing
lists and always received almost zero spam.

And while that happens, the virus is still flooding the lists and nobody
does nothing :(

> IIRC, the last time I offered this, it wasn't well received, but, what
> the heck, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Thanks for the offer anyway ;)

--

@ 2003-07-03  3:55           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-07-03  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clifford Caoile; +Cc: Peter Stephenson, Zsh users

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 07:29:02AM +0900, Clifford Caoile wrote:
>Peter Stephenson wrote:
>| Christopher Faylor wrote:
>| > IIRC, the last time I offered this, it wasn't well received, but, what
>| > the heck, I'm a glutton for punishment.
>|
>| It's helpful, but at the time we didn't feel the need to move.  It's
>| still not clear it's worth all the pain, but if Sourceforge continues to
>| be stodgy we may need to.
>
>I'm in no position to even say "let's move" or "let's stay", but I
>appreciate the thought and generousity. It makes me feel all warm inside
>even if it wasn't directed at me. Wow.
>
>Question: If zsh repository is set up with sourceware.org, does this mean
>zsh project can take advantage of all the sourceware.org ftp mirrors?

Yep.

cgf