zsh-users
* Xterm and CURSOR (INS && OVERRIDE)
@ 1998-08-03  5:49 heiko_elger
From: heiko_elger @ 1998-08-03  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,
my ZSH version is 3.05 and 3.1.4

Is it possible to send an escape sequence when pressing the INS key to change
the cursor in the XTERM (AIXTERM), e.x. INSERT MODE --> full cursor, OVERRIDE
MODE small cursor.

Sorry, I'm that this is perhaps a faq but I cannot find any info about this
problem.

best regards

  Heiko Elger

ARBURG GmbH + Co          Tel:   +49 7446 33-0
Postfach 1109                    +49 7446 33-3659 (Heiko Elger)
D-72286 Lossburg          Fax:   +49 7446 33-3365
                          WWW:   http://www.arburg.com
                          Email: heiko_elger@arburg.com

* Re: Xterm and CURSOR (INS && OVERRIDE)
@ 1998-08-03  8:42 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1998-08-03  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list; +Cc: heiko_elger

heiko_elger@arburg.com wrote:
> Is it possible to send an escape sequence when pressing the INS key to change
>
> the cursor in the XTERM (AIXTERM), e.x. INSERT MODE --> full cursor, OVERRIDE
>
> MODE small cursor.

This shouldn't be a problem.  The usual trick applies:  use ^V, then
the INS key to see what escape sequence it's sending, then bind that.
In my case the incantation is

bindkey "^[[2~" overwrite-mode

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>       Tel: +39 50 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: Xterm and CURSOR (INS && OVERRIDE)
@ 1998-08-03  8:53   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1998-08-03  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh users list; +Cc: heiko_elger

Peter Stephenson wrote:
> heiko_elger@arburg.com wrote:
> > Is it possible to send an escape sequence when pressing the INS key to chan
> ge
> >
> > the cursor in the XTERM (AIXTERM), e.x. INSERT MODE --> full cursor, OVERRI
> DE
> >
> > MODE small cursor.
>
> This shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, I realise I misread that.  You don't just want to go into
overwrite mode, you want the cursor to look different, where I can't help.

pws

* Re: Xterm and CURSOR (INS && OVERRIDE)
@ 1998-08-05 22:03 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-08-05 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: heiko_elger; +Cc: zsh-users

On Aug 3,  6:49am, heiko_elger@arburg.com wrote:
} Subject: Xterm and CURSOR (INS && OVERRIDE)
}
} Is it possible to send an escape sequence when pressing the INS key to change
} the cursor in the XTERM (AIXTERM), e.x. INSERT MODE --> full cursor, OVERRIDE
} MODE small cursor.

In 3.1.4, this should do it; you may need to swap vs and ve, or use some
other termcap sequence, to get the cursor you want in each case:

	INSkey='\e[2~'	# The sequence sent by the INS key

	function overwrite_change_cursor {
	    bindkey "$INSkey" insert_change_cursor
	    zle overwrite-mode
	    echotc vs
	}

	function insert_change_cursor {
	    bindkey "$INSkey" overwrite_change_cursor
	    zle overwrite-mode
	    echotc ve
	}

	zle -N overwrite_change_cursor overwrite_change_cursor
	zle -N insert_change_cursor insert_change_cursor

	function precmd {
	    if [[ -o overstrike ]]
	    then
		echotc vs
		bindkey "$INSkey" insert_change_cursor
	    else
		echotc ve
		bindkey "$INSkey" overwrite_change_cursor
	    fi
	}