zsh-users
From: "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
To: David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org>,
	zsh-users@math.gatech.edu (Zsh users list)
Subject: Re: zsh - new user with questions
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:21:45 -0700	[thread overview]

On Aug 18,  3:46pm, David Hedbor wrote:
> Subject: Re: zsh - new user with questions
> Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de> writes:
>
> bash-2.01$ ls /usr/loc/bi
>                       ^
> bash-2.01$ ls /usr/local/bi
>                         ^
> With zsh:
>
> ls /usr/loc/bi           => beep
>            ^
> ls /usr/loc/bin          => /usr/local/bin/
>            ^                          ^
> So problem one is that local is not expanded if the path segment after
> it doesn't exist.

Try the following:

unsetopt completeinword
bindkey \^I expand-or-complete-prefix

Those settings will produce the effect you describe.  However, you may find
other differences from bash; I don't think there's any combinations of zsh
completion settings that exactly duplicate it.

You might also try setting up Functions/multicomp for extensive embedded
directory name completion.

> ls /usr/loc/bin/         => /usr/local/bin//
>            ^                          ^
> The second problem is that zsh adds a "/" at the end
> of the path - always. I'd prefer if it didn't add one at all or at
> least just one (the infinite number of added slashes is clearly a
> bug).

I don't see that behavior, but I'm running a much-patched zsh.  What version
are you using?

> The third problem is something that often bites me hard:
>
> bash: ls /usr/lobin	=> /usr/local/bin
> 		^
> bash: ls /usr/lobin	=> beep
> 		^
> Ie zsh can't complete the path if the cursor is not on a slash.

The expand-or-complete-prefix binding will take care of that, too.