zsh-users
* using zsh in windows nt
@ 1998-11-05  8:41 Zvi Har'El
From: Zvi Har'El @ 1998-11-05  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ZSH Users

Hi All,
I recently started using zsh 3.0.5 under windows nt    and cygwin beta 20. My
.zprofile
and .zshrc are basically the same files I used in my other unix neighborhoods
(solaris, linux, etc.). I have two problems, which I cannot solve:

1) Zsh tries to do spelling corrections for correct commands, For example, it
always suggest to replace ls by ps - ls is in my path and if I say don't
correct it is found. My only solution to this one is to add an alias ls=ls to
my .zshrc. Also, since yesterday, when I installed a new version of java, it
started trying to correct `java' to `javaw', which didn't happen with the old
version. The only change zsh could notice is the change in the path (the new
version is in a new directory, so I removed the old one from the path and put
the new one instead)! I thought the ls/ps problem was related to the fact ps is
builtin, but both java and javaw are external programs which reside in the same
directory in the path! Do you have any idea (except removing the correctall
option ;( )?

2) A second problem: Zsh doesn't write an history file for me, although I set
HISTFILE and HISTSIZE to the correct values and also set the option
appendhistory.

I'll appreciate your answer, or any other views from windows nt users. I am a
big fan of zsh, and I certainly don't want to use bash instead ;)

--
Dr. Zvi Har'El <rl@math.technion.ac.il>              Department of Mathematics
+972-4-8294094(Phone)                Technion - Israel Institute of Technology

* Re: using zsh in windows nt
@ 1998-11-05 10:44 ` Stephen Marley
From: Stephen Marley @ 1998-11-05 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ZSH Users

On 05 November 1998, Zvi Har'El wrote:
> directory in the path! Do you have any idea (except removing the correctall
> option ;( )?

Use alias ls='nocorrect ls' etc. Not ideal I know, but I too get lots of
unwanted corrections on NT.

> 2) A second problem: Zsh doesn't write an history file for me, although I set
> HISTFILE and HISTSIZE to the correct values and also set the option
> appendhistory.

set SAVEHIST too. eg SAVEHIST=1000

> I'll appreciate your answer, or any other views from windows nt users. I am a
> big fan of zsh, and I certainly don't want to use bash instead ;)

Quite right too. Are you using Amol Deshpande's native win32 port or a
cygwin compiled version? If the former, you might want to add
setopt winntignorecase winntlamepathfix to your .zshrc and you'll
need special bindings to get the arrow keys to work properly (see
Amol's docs).

The only relatively big problem I have under NT is that command line
editing breaks when the terminal is very wide.

--
stephen@memex.com

* Re: using zsh in windows nt
@ 1998-11-05 15:21   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-11-05 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zvi Har'El, ZSH Users

On Nov 5, 10:41am, Zvi Har'El wrote:
} Subject: using zsh in windows nt
}
} Hi All,
} I recently started using zsh 3.0.5 under windows nt and cygwin beta 20.
}
} 1) Zsh tries to do spelling corrections for correct commands, For example, it
} always suggest to replace ls by ps - ls is in my path and if I say don't
} correct it is found.

If you are using Amol Deshpande's port, make sure you have the most recent
copy (version 0.50 or later).  I reported this same bug a while ago; see
	http://www.zsh.org/mla/users/1998/msg00605.html
for details of the fix Amol did.  I don't rembember whether he also fixed
the crash I described in that thread.

} 2) A second problem: Zsh doesn't write an history file for me

Stephen Marley's answer about SAVEHIST is correct.