zsh-users
* Project: Friendly Interactive ZSHell available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fizsh/
@ 2011-01-08 22:52 Guido van Steen
From: Guido van Steen @ 2011-01-08 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Nicoulaud; +Cc: Peter Stephenson, zsh-users

Hi Julien, Peter and other ZSH users,

Today I uploaded a "package" that provides a "Fish-like" user interface to ZSH.
Of course I used Julien's excellent syntax highlighting code from
https://github.com/nicoulaj/zsh-syntax-highlighting for the syntax highlighting
stuff. The package also contains a search widget, which I partially cooked up
myself. It is based on an idea proposed by Peter in 2009
(http://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2009/msg00818.html). For the rest I added some
scripts that take care of installing the files to the right location.

The project is called Fizsh, meaning Friendly Interactive ZSHell. It is a
frontend to ZSH. Its purpose is to quickly provide users with an easy looking
(Fish-like) environment, in which they can still execute Bourn-syntax snippets.
This will hopefully entice users relatively new to ZSH, but it may also be of
interest to existing users, who like the Fish user interface and who want to use
it while being able to use Bourn-syntax snippets at the same time.

I don't intend to fork Julien's syntax highlighting code. For future versions I
will just check-out the latest version of his script. The search-widget will
have to be improved on the sourceforge site. There are some obvious bugs in it,
although I find it quite workable. Anyone who has ideas, bug-reports, or
patches, please feel free to mail them to me, or to the FiZsh mailing list at
sourceforge.

For those interested: the project is available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fizsh/. You can find a tarball there, and a
".deb" archive.

Best wishes,

Guido van Steen

* Re: Project: Friendly Interactive ZSHell available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/fizsh/
@ 2011-01-09  0:12 ` Guido van Steen
From: Guido van Steen @ 2011-01-09  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Dear List,

In my last mail the word "search widget" must have been a bit confusing. I
actually meant "history-search widget". Fish (and Fizsh) allow a Matlab-like
history search, which looks for SUBstrings of what you currently have on the
command line.

Best wishes,

Guido

@ 2011-01-09 12:07   ` Julien Nicoulaud
From: Julien Nicoulaud @ 2011-01-09 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido van Steen; +Cc: zsh-users

Hi Guido, nice to see it gave you some ideas, it really looks like the real
one :) The search widget is really nice.

Just one thing: Could you put zsh-syntax-highlighting url instead of my name
in fizshrc ? I'm just one among others contributors.

Cheers!
Julien

@ 2011-01-10  9:21 ` Julien Nicoulaud
From: Julien Nicoulaud @ 2011-01-10  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido van Steen; +Cc: zsh-users

2011/1/9 Guido van Steen <gvsteen@yahoo.com>

> Hi Julien,
>
> I will adjust your name.
>
> BTW,
> https://github.com/nicoulaj/zsh-syntax-highlighting/blob/master/zsh-syntax-highlighting.zshsays:
>
> # copyleft 2011 zsh-syntax-highlighting contributors
> # http://github.com/nicoulaj/zsh-syntax-highlighting
> # All wrongs reserved.
>
> Is there a more explicit reference to the status under which the
> syntax-highlighting code is licensed? E.g. is it GPL-3?

I just changed it to BSD license:
https://github.com/nicoulaj/zsh-syntax-highlighting/commit/e162de6f5162915a03593106b4f70e7039524439
Is it OK for you ?

@ 2011-01-09 21:48 Guido van Steen