zsh-users
* adam2 prompt truncating command output
@ 2017-10-30  6:27 ` xeyrion
From: xeyrion @ 2017-10-30  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,

It looks like using adam2 prompt truncates command output if the output
does not end with a newline:

-------------------------
`--> zsh --no-globalrcs --no-rcs
                                                              dt% echo -n
asd
asd%
dt% autoload -Uz colors && colors
dt% autoload -Uz promptinit && promptinit
dt% prompt adam2
-------------------------
`--> echo -n asd
-------------------------
`-->

I assume this is a bug with the prompt? Could anyone recommend a work
around / fix? The prompt works and looks great otherwise.

Zsh version is 5.4.2.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: adam2 prompt truncating command output
@ 2017-10-30  9:36   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2017-10-30  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xeyrion, zsh-users

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 06:27:13 +0000
xeyrion@gmail.com wrote:
> It looks like using adam2 prompt truncates command output if the output
> does not end with a newline:

That's standard zsh behaviour: it's that way because the line editor
works best when it knows what position it's at in a line, so it ensures
the prompt starts at the left.

I'm not familiar with this prompt, but if it prints anything at the
right hand end of the screen, you're out of luck --- if there's output
without a newline it'll just wrap round and mess up the display.  You'll
have to pick which aspect you dislike least.

Otherwise, you might be able to get away without the standard behaviour,
in which case try the option:

  setopt nopromptcr

pws

* Re: adam2 prompt truncating command output
@ 2017-10-30 16:41     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2017-10-30 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: xeyrion, Zsh Users

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 2:36 AM, Peter Stephenson
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 06:27:13 +0000
> xeyrion@gmail.com wrote:
>> It looks like using adam2 prompt truncates command output if the output
>> does not end with a newline:
>
> That's standard zsh behaviour: it's that way because the line editor
> works best when it knows what position it's at in a line, so it ensures
> the prompt starts at the left.

The adam2 theme (and possibly some others) should probably be doing
"setopt prompt_sp".

* Re: adam2 prompt truncating command output
@ 2017-10-30 16:57       ` xeyrion
From: xeyrion @ 2017-10-30 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Peter Stephenson, Zsh Users

Yep, "setopt prompt_sp" fixed it. Thanks Bart!

It does not appear to be causing any side effects either.

Interestingly, docs claim that this option is on by default (
http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Doc/Release/Options.html#index-PROMPTSP
<http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Doc/Release/Options.html#index-NOPROMPTSP>),
but it was not for me.

@ 2017-10-30 20:25         ` Eric Cook
From: Eric Cook @ 2017-10-30 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 10/30/2017 12:57 PM, xeyrion@gmail.com wrote:
> Interestingly, docs claim that this option is on by default (
> http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Doc/Release/Options.html#index-PROMPTSP
> <http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Doc/Release/Options.html#index-NOPROMPTSP>),
> but it was not for me.

Are you using some framework like oh-my-zsh that possibly disabled it?

* Re: adam2 prompt truncating command output
@ 2017-10-30 20:33         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2017-10-30 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xeyrion; +Cc: Peter Stephenson, Zsh Users

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:57 AM,  <xeyrion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep, "setopt prompt_sp" fixed it. Thanks Bart!
>
> Interestingly, docs claim that this option is on by default [...], but it
> was not for me.

It would appear that "prompt adam2" actually goes so far as to turn
prompt_sp *off*
(and prompt_cr on).  This might be a case of the theme having been developed
before prompt_sp was introduced, and not correctly updated.

* Re: adam2 prompt truncating command output
@ 2017-10-30 23:43           ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2017-10-30 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Bart wrote:
> It would appear that "prompt adam2" actually goes so far as to turn
> prompt_sp *off*
> (and prompt_cr on).  This might be a case of the theme having been developed
> before prompt_sp was introduced, and not correctly updated.

Should it really be any business of prompt themes to touch the prompt_cr
and prompt_sp options at all? I'd have regarded them as a user-preference
unrelated to the theme - unlike prompt_subst/bang/percent which affect
whether the theme actually works or not.

Oliver

* Re: adam2 prompt truncating command output
@ 2017-10-31 16:40           ` xeyrion
From: xeyrion @ 2017-10-31 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: zsh-users

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 5:10 PM Eric Cook <llua@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 10/30/2017 12:57 PM, xeyrion@gmail.com wrote:
> > Interestingly, docs claim that this option is on by default (
> > http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Doc/Release/Options.html#index-PROMPTSP
> > <http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Doc/Release/Options.html#index-NOPROMPTSP>),
> > but it was not for me.
> >
> Are you using some framework like oh-my-zsh that possibly disabled it?

Nope. I verified that adam2 prompt does indeed disable it. The option is on
before switching the prompt.

* Re: adam2 prompt truncating command output
@ 2017-10-31 20:32             ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2017-10-31 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Should it really be any business of prompt themes to touch the prompt_cr
> and prompt_sp options at all?

The adam2 prompt and a few others have a two-line prompt where the top
line occupies the entire width of the terminal.  Without one of
promptct or promptsp that line would always mess up the display.
However, promptsp would probably be a better choice than promptcr --
if those prompt themes weren't older than the existence of promptsp.