zsh-users
* transpose-words worked for few seconds
@ 2015-12-22 10:34 Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2015-12-22 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello,
I've added to ~/.zshrc:
  bindkey "^[t" transpose-words

I use bindkey -v. Pressing Alt-t worked like 5 times, then stopped.
Now it never works, even after rebotting machine. I think it can be
assumed that it doesn't work and worked by accident.

Tried without bindkey -v, with bindkey "^Y" instead of "^[t". Entering
"a b" and pressing key combination doesn't change anything. Entering
"a b " swaps "b" and the last space, and does this once, without
swapping back.

Tried on zsh 5.0.2, 5.0.8 and 5.2. OS X.

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski

* Re: transpose-words worked for few seconds
@ 2015-12-22 10:41 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2015-12-22 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Gniazdowski; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Sebastian Gniazdowski
<sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've added to ~/.zshrc:
>   bindkey "^[t" transpose-words
>
> I use bindkey -v. Pressing Alt-t worked like 5 times, then stopped.
> Now it never works, even after rebotting machine. I think it can be
> assumed that it doesn't work and worked by accident.
>
> Tried without bindkey -v, with bindkey "^Y" instead of "^[t". Entering
> "a b" and pressing key combination doesn't change anything. Entering
> "a b " swaps "b" and the last space, and does this once, without
> swapping back.
>
> Tried on zsh 5.0.2, 5.0.8 and 5.2. OS X.

You have to position the cursor on the first character of the word you
want to transpose with the one before it.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: transpose-words worked for few seconds
@ 2015-12-22 10:49   ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2015-12-22 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 22 December 2015 at 11:41, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have to position the cursor on the first character of the word you
> want to transpose with the one before it.

So "ab cd" will be swapped to "ab dc" when cursor is on "d". That's
quite weird, I think I used different widget long before, it didn't
require to position cursor like that, but maybe I'm wrong

@ 2015-12-22 10:52   ` Dominik Vogt
From: Dominik Vogt @ 2015-12-22 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:41:45AM +0100, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Sebastian Gniazdowski
> <sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've added to ~/.zshrc:
> >   bindkey "^[t" transpose-words
> >
> > I use bindkey -v. Pressing Alt-t worked like 5 times, then stopped.
> > Now it never works, even after rebotting machine. I think it can be
> > assumed that it doesn't work and worked by accident.
> >
> > Tried without bindkey -v, with bindkey "^Y" instead of "^[t". Entering
> > "a b" and pressing key combination doesn't change anything. Entering
> > "a b " swaps "b" and the last space, and does this once, without
> > swapping back.
> >
> > Tried on zsh 5.0.2, 5.0.8 and 5.2. OS X.
>
> You have to position the cursor on the first character of the word you
> want to transpose with the one before it.

Theoretically, but practically transpose-words works really
strange on one-letter words, probably because it has trouble to
properly decide which word the cursor is pointing at.

Starting with "a b c d" using transpose-word repeatedly ("*"
denotes the cursor position):

  a b c d*
  a c b*d   (swapped the wrong words and screwed up cursor position)
  a c d b*
  a d c*b   (ditto)
  a d b c*
  a b d*c   (ditto)
  a b c d*

But

  aa bb cc dd*
  aa bb dd cc*
  aa bb cc dd*

(zsh 4.3.17)

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

Dominik Vogt
IBM Germany

* Re: transpose-words worked for few seconds
@ 2015-12-22 11:15     ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2015-12-22 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vogt, zsh-users

On 22 December 2015 at 11:52, Dominik Vogt <vogt@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>   a b c d*
>   a c b*d   (swapped the wrong words and screwed up cursor position)

I cannot reproduce that on 5.0.8. Maybe I remember correctly and
transpose-words used to work differently in past? I tried positioning
cursor after d (nothing happens) and at d (c and d are swapped)

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski