zsh-users
* How to install 'readline'
@ 2023-08-16  2:09 Budi
From: Budi @ 2023-08-16  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

How do we install and utilize 'readline' onto, or temporarily replace,
 zle's Zsh ?

* Re: How to install 'readline'
@ 2023-08-16  4:25 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2023-08-16  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budi; +Cc: zsh-users

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 7:09 PM Budi <budikusasi@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do we install and utilize 'readline' onto, or temporarily replace,
>  zle's Zsh ?

It depends on why you'd want to do this.  There's no way to have zsh
load/use the readline library, but if you install "rlwrap" and explain
what you expect to happen, there may be a way.

Brute force would be "rlwrap zsh +ozle" but I can't speak to
unexpected side-effects.

* Re: How to install 'readline'
@ 2023-08-16  7:01   ` Budi
From: Budi @ 2023-08-16  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-users

to have feature on previous ask (forget its link) ,

"
What is zsh equivalent for :

read -e -i "This is pre written text " t

get user into readline with a pre written text ready to edit an save
to a variable

"

On 8/16/23, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 7:09 PM Budi <budikusasi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How do we install and utilize 'readline' onto, or temporarily replace,
>>  zle's Zsh ?
>
> It depends on why you'd want to do this.  There's no way to have zsh
> load/use the readline library, but if you install "rlwrap" and explain
> what you expect to happen, there may be a way.
>
> Brute force would be "rlwrap zsh +ozle" but I can't speak to
> unexpected side-effects.

* Re: How to install 'readline'
@ 2023-08-16  8:40     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2023-08-16  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budi, zsh-users

> On 16/08/2023 08:01 Budi <budikusasi@gmail.com> wrote:
> to have feature on previous ask (forget its link) ,
>
> "
> What is zsh equivalent for :
>
> read -e -i "This is pre written text " t
>
> get user into readline with a pre written text ready to edit an save
> to a variable
>
> "

I would definitely second Pier Paolo Grassi's recommendation --- vared
is the way to do this in zsh, as he said.  The simplest form is:

var="This is prewritten text"
vared var

pws

* Re: How to install 'readline'
@ 2023-08-16  9:18       ` Budi
From: Budi @ 2023-08-16  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-users

Thanks
OK so far works ~ 90%, not yet further test

On 8/16/23, Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On 16/08/2023 08:01 Budi <budikusasi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> to have feature on previous ask (forget its link) ,
>>
>> "
>> What is zsh equivalent for :
>>
>> read -e -i "This is pre written text " t
>>
>> get user into readline with a pre written text ready to edit an save
>> to a variable
>>
>> "
>
> I would definitely second Pier Paolo Grassi's recommendation --- vared
> is the way to do this in zsh, as he said.  The simplest form is:
>
> var="This is prewritten text"
> vared var
>
> pws

* Re: How to install 'readline'
@ 2023-08-16  9:22         ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2023-08-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budi; +Cc: Peter Stephenson, zsh-users

On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 11:19 AM Budi <budikusasi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks
> OK so far works ~ 90%, not yet further test

Can you describe your use case? Why do you want to replace zle with readline?

Generally, zle is more powerful and can do anything that readline can plus more.

Roman.