zsh-users
* completing file names
@ 2005-01-21  9:29 Andrei A. Voropaev
From: Andrei A. Voropaev @ 2005-01-21  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi!

Completion is very good, but very complex to quickly understand it :) So
far I've configured everything as compinstall was guiding and I'm
satisfied. Only one thing bothers me. I would like to get the list of
hosts not from /etc/hosts file but from some other file. Because then I
can rely on DNS to find the appropriate IP for given file name. And
names I can collect say in ~/.known_hosts one host per line. How can I
set it up?

(in fact ~/.ssh/known_hosts can be such file, but there the host name is
followed by lots of things on the line :)

* Re: completing file names
@ 2005-01-21 10:46 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-01-21 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

"Andrei A. Voropaev" wrote:
> Completion is very good, but very complex to quickly understand it :) So
> far I've configured everything as compinstall was guiding and I'm
> satisfied. Only one thing bothers me. I would like to get the list of
> hosts not from /etc/hosts file but from some other file. Because then I
> can rely on DNS to find the appropriate IP for given file name. And
> names I can collect say in ~/.known_hosts one host per line. How can I
> set it up?

You need to set the "hosts" style to the list of values in the file.

zstyle ':completion:*' hosts $(<~/.known_hosts)

should be good enough (host names don't need special quoting).

> (in fact ~/.ssh/known_hosts can be such file, but there the host name is
> followed by lots of things on the line :)

You can do that, too:

zstyle ':completion:*' hosts ${${(f)"$(<~/.ssh/known_hosts)"}%%[[:space:],]*}

This is using zsh's CompletelyImpenetrableExpansionSystem (TM):

"$(<~/.ssh/known_hosts)"

produces the contents of the file as a single string.

${(f)...}

splits that into an array of strings, one for each line of the file.

${...%%[[:space:],]*}

for each element of the array, strips off everything from the first
space or comma on, leaving the initial hostname in each case.  (My
~/.ssh/known_hosts has IP addresses after a comma, which we don't want.)

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: completing file names
@ 2005-01-21 12:13   ` Andrei A. Voropaev
From: Andrei A. Voropaev @ 2005-01-21 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-users

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:46:32AM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> "Andrei A. Voropaev" wrote:
> > Completion is very good, but very complex to quickly understand it :) So
> > far I've configured everything as compinstall was guiding and I'm
> > satisfied. Only one thing bothers me. I would like to get the list of
> > hosts not from /etc/hosts file but from some other file. Because then I
> > can rely on DNS to find the appropriate IP for given file name. And
> > names I can collect say in ~/.known_hosts one host per line. How can I
> > set it up?
>
> You need to set the "hosts" style to the list of values in the file.
>
> zstyle ':completion:*' hosts $(<~/.known_hosts)
>
> should be good enough (host names don't need special quoting).
>
> > (in fact ~/.ssh/known_hosts can be such file, but there the host name is
> > followed by lots of things on the line :)
>
> You can do that, too:
>
> zstyle ':completion:*' hosts ${${(f)"$(<~/.ssh/known_hosts)"}%%[[:space:],]*}
>
> This is using zsh's CompletelyImpenetrableExpansionSystem (TM):
>
> "$(<~/.ssh/known_hosts)"
>
> produces the contents of the file as a single string.
>
> ${(f)...}
>
> splits that into an array of strings, one for each line of the file.
>
> ${...%%[[:space:],]*}
>
> for each element of the array, strips off everything from the first
> space or comma on, leaving the initial hostname in each case.  (My
> ~/.ssh/known_hosts has IP addresses after a comma, which we don't want.)

Perfect. It works :) On the note of completion. I've noticed that now
when I say 'scp host:/path/files/* .' zsh complains that there were no
matches found. To work around this I had to put quotes around the
host:/path/files/*. I've tried to use

zstyle ':completion:*' preserve-prefix '(//[^/]##/|[^:/]##:)'

bur for some reason it didn't help. So I guess this style is not the
right one :) What would be the right action (beside putting it in
quotes?)

* Re: completing file names
@ 2005-01-21 14:58     ` lists
From: lists @ 2005-01-21 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users; +Cc: Andrei A.Voropaev

On Jan 21, 2005, at 6:13 AM, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:

> I've noticed that now
> when I say 'scp host:/path/files/* .' zsh complains that there were no
> matches found. To work around this I had to put quotes around the
> host:/path/files/*.

Thanks to Bart for this one.  From my .zshrc file:

### SSH filename globbing:
if [[ $ZSH_VERSION > 4.2 ]]; then
    autoload -U url-quote-magic
    zle -N self-insert url-quote-magic
    zstyle -e :urlglobber url-other-schema '[[ $words[1] == scp ]] &&
reply=("*") || reply=(http https ftp)'
fi
###

With the above magic, the * is automatically escaped as I type it.  I
hope this is what you were looking for.

-Ryan