zsh-users
* FYPI zsh 5.1.1 (cygwin) broke my .zshrc
@ 2015-11-07 14:25 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2015-11-07 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

FYPI (P=possible)

/home/win7pc/.zshrc:7564: parse error near `}'
(I only have 3040 lines)

Turned out I'd inadvertently defined a few functions without the ()
parenthesis

e.g.
function vcd {.....}
instead of
function vcd(){.....}

But these had been created many moons ago.

--
zzapper
https://twitter.com/dailyzshtip

---

* Re: FYPI zsh 5.1.1 (cygwin) broke my .zshrc
@ 2015-11-07 17:12 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2015-11-07 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper, zsh-users

On Nov 7,  2:25pm, zzapper wrote:
}
} /home/win7pc/.zshrc:7564: parse error near `}'
} (I only have 3040 lines)

That's a little odd -- I'd tend to suspect that lineno is not getting
reset when the parser scans back and forth over (( expressions to
decide whether they are math or subshells.

} Turned out I'd inadvertently defined a few functions without the ()
} parenthesis

That should be perfectly valid syntax, which makes me suspect something
else is going awry that is accidentally fixed by introducing an additional
close-paren.  It'd be instructive to look at "setopt verbose" or perhaps
"setopt xtrace" output of the failing .zshrc, or you can try gradually
removing bits of that .zshrc until you find the specific thing that's
going wrong.

* Re: FYPI zsh 5.1.1 (cygwin) broke my .zshrc
@ 2015-11-07 21:15   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2015-11-07 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote in

> That should be perfectly valid syntax, which makes me suspect
> something else is going awry that is accidentally fixed by introducing
> an additional close-paren.  It'd be instructive to look at "setopt
> verbose" or perhaps "setopt xtrace" output of the failing .zshrc, or
> you can try gradually removing bits of that .zshrc until you find the
> specific thing that's going wrong.

Bart,
That's useful guidance. I know I do one tricky thing I've always been
unhappy with : I use a nested alias to "duplicate" script sections, can't
remember why an alias and not a function. (probably explains the line
number being longer than my .zshrc)