zsh-users
* can zsh detect return from hibernation?
@ 2018-03-06 20:41 Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2018-03-06 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

Of course it's not really a zsh issue, but when my machine returns from
hibernation it always spins up all disks.  System level things can spin
themdown, but on thaw, I'm back to my xfce4 desktop and xfce4 is the
culprit spinning up the disks.  It seems that there's no way of getting
xfce4 to reset the spindown, so I'm wondering if zsh can detect that
it's resumed from hibernationso that I can add something to zshrc to
perform "hdparm -y /dev/sdb" but only the one time that it's needed.
It's hardly a big problem but I'd not be surprised if zsh can handle it.

* Re: can zsh detect return from hibernation?
@ 2018-03-09 11:14 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2018-03-09 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Ray Andrews wrote on Tue, 06 Mar 2018 12:41 -0800:
> Of course it's not really a zsh issue, but when my machine returns from
> hibernation it always spins up all disks.  System level things can spin
> themdown, but on thaw, I'm back to my xfce4 desktop and xfce4 is the
> culprit spinning up the disks.  It seems that there's no way of getting
> xfce4 to reset the spindown, so I'm wondering if zsh can detect that
> it's resumed from hibernationso that I can add something to zshrc to
> perform "hdparm -y /dev/sdb" but only the one time that it's needed.
> It's hardly a big problem but I'd not be surprised if zsh can handle it.

Ever heard the saying, "When your tool is hammer, every problem looks
like a nail"?

There's no reason zsh needs to be part of the solution.

I would advise you to try and fix the problem at the source (xfce), and
failing that, to look into your OS's support for post-hibernate hooks.

Good luck.

* Re: can zsh detect return from hibernation?
@ 2018-03-09 14:53   ` Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2018-03-09 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 09/03/18 03:14 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> I would advise you to try and fix the problem at the source (xfce), and
> failing that, to look into your OS's support for post-hibernate hooks.
>
> Good luck.

Zsh can do some things that are quite astonishing, irrespective of where
the problem arises, so I thought  I'd ask.  It might have been the case
that she'd be able to detect that the lights have been out, perhaps by
noticing that the time has changed since she last checked, or something
like that.  As for Debian, I've seen half a dozen ideas, none of which
work.  No one really knows.  I learned not too long ago that zsh can
detect the activation of a terminal (via movement of the mouse) so it
was not a stretch to think that she might be able to detect even return
from suspend or hibernation.   No foul if she can't of course, but most
cool if she could.  Meanwhile I have to type:

$ hdparm -y /dev/sdb

... which isn't exactly onerous ;-)