zsh-users
* Function-scoped parameters?
@ 2011-02-23 18:03 Benjamin R. Haskell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Benjamin R. Haskell @ 2011-02-23 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

This doesn't work, probably unsurprisingly.  But is there a way to
accomplish it?

function () {
     emulate -L zsh
     local x=asdf
     trap 'echo x is ${x:-unset}' EXIT
}

The use case is that I want to assign a local parameter 'temp' to
be set to the name of a temporary file.  If anything goes wrong in the
function, I'd like that temporary file to be removed, but I don't want
'temp' to leak out of the function scope.

e.g.:
dosomething () {
     emulate -L zsh
     local temp=$(mktemp)
     setopt err_return
     trap '(( $+temp )) && rm $temp' EXIT
     # ...
}

--
Best,
Ben

* Re: Function-scoped parameters?
@ 2011-02-23 18:27 ` Benjamin R. Haskell
From: Benjamin R. Haskell @ 2011-02-23 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

> This doesn't work, probably unsurprisingly.  But is there a way to
> accomplish it?
>
> function () {
>    emulate -L zsh
>    local x=asdf
>    trap 'echo x is ${x:-unset}' EXIT
> }
>
> The use case is that I want to assign a local parameter 'temp' to be
> set to the name of a temporary file.  If anything goes wrong in the
> function, I'd like that temporary file to be removed, but I don't want
> 'temp' to leak out of the function scope.
>
> e.g.:
> dosomething () {
>    emulate -L zsh
>    local temp=$(mktemp)
>    setopt err_return
>    trap '(( $+temp )) && rm $temp' EXIT
>    # ...
> }

Hmm.  The following seems to do what I want, but seems kludgy and
zsh-specific (which might be fine, but this seems like something other
shells should be able to do).  (Main problem might be that I tend to
code as if I'm using Perl even when I'm not.)

dosomething () {
     emulate -L zsh
     setopt err_return
     local temp=$(mktemp)
     function () {
         trap '(( $+temp )) && rm $temp' EXIT
         # ... do stuff ...
     }
     # at this point, $temp has always been cleaned up (error or no)
}
dosomething blah blah
# at this point, $temp is not leaked

--

@ 2011-02-23 19:17 ` Sebastian Stark
From: Sebastian Stark @ 2011-02-23 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin R. Haskell; +Cc: Zsh Users

Am 23.02.2011 um 19:03 schrieb Benjamin R. Haskell:

> This doesn't work, probably unsurprisingly.  But is there a way to accomplish it?
>
> function () {
>    emulate -L zsh
>    local x=asdf
>    trap 'echo x is ${x:-unset}' EXIT
> }
>
> The use case is that I want to assign a local parameter 'temp' to be set to the name of a temporary file.  If anything goes wrong in the function, I'd like that temporary file to be removed, but I don't want 'temp' to leak out of the function scope.
>
> e.g.:
> dosomething () {
>    emulate -L zsh
>    local temp=$(mktemp)
>    setopt err_return
>    trap '(( $+temp )) && rm $temp' EXIT
>    # ...
> }

Would "setopt localtraps" be of any help?

Sebastian

* Re: Function-scoped parameters?
@ 2011-02-23 20:01   ` Benjamin R. Haskell
From: Benjamin R. Haskell @ 2011-02-23 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Stark; +Cc: Zsh Users

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Sebastian Stark wrote:

> Am 23.02.2011 um 19:03 schrieb Benjamin R. Haskell:
>
>> This doesn't work, probably unsurprisingly.  But is there a way to
>> accomplish it?
>>
>> function () {
>>    emulate -L zsh
>>    local x=asdf
>>    trap 'echo x is ${x:-unset}' EXIT
>> }
>>
>> The use case is that I want to assign a local parameter 'temp' to be
>> set to the name of a temporary file.  If anything goes wrong in the
>> function, I'd like that temporary file to be removed, but I don't
>> want 'temp' to leak out of the function scope.
>>
>> e.g.:
>> dosomething () {
>>    emulate -L zsh
>>    local temp=$(mktemp)
>>    setopt err_return
>>    trap '(( $+temp )) && rm $temp' EXIT
>>    # ...
>> }
>
> Would "setopt localtraps" be of any help?
>

>From the documentation for 'emulate':

[...] If the -L option is given, the options LOCAL_OPTIONS and
LOCAL_TRAPS will be set as well[...]

So, it's already set by `emulate -L zsh`.

--

@ 2011-02-23 20:29 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2011-02-23 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Wednesday, February 23, 2011, Benjamin R. Haskell <zsh@benizi.com> wrote:
> The use case is that I want to assign a local parameter 'temp' to be set to the name of a temporary file.  If anything goes wrong in the function, I'd like that temporary file to be removed, but I don't want 'temp' to leak out of the function scope.

That's what "always" is for.

dosomething() {
  emulate -L zsh
  local temp=$(mktemp)