zsh-users
* cd with wildcard fails instead cd's to home
@ 2021-04-27 12:46 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2021-04-27 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hi

# my environment

# trying to cd to a directory that doesn't exist with a wildcard I just
want it fail

~/Videos/kdenlivedemo > cd gggg
cd: no such file or directory: gggg

~/Videos/kdenlivedemo >

~/Videos/kdenlivedemo > cd gggg*
~ >      # <<<< BAD I've cd'd to home -- no warning message

  ~ > which cd
cd: shell built-in command

zsh -f  # clean enviroment

~/Videos/kdenlivedemo > cd gggg
cd: no such file or directory: gggg
~/Videos/kdenlivedemo > cd *gggg
zsh: no matches found: *gggg
~/Videos/kdenlivedemo >    ## <<< GOOD I stay where I am

Please tell me it's something dumb!

zzapper

* Re: cd with wildcard fails instead cd's to home
@ 2021-04-27 14:01 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2021-04-27 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper, zsh-users

> On 27 April 2021 at 13:46 zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
> ~/Videos/kdenlivedemo > cd gggg*
> ~ >      # <<<< BAD I've cd'd to home -- no warning message

You've got the NULL_GLOB option set, which simply removes any argument
with pattern characters in that doesn't match.

It's not a common thing to have set, you'd better try to work out
why you have it.

If there is a reason, think about CSH_NULL_GLOB instead --- that
will throw in error if *all* patterns fail, as in this case.

Go to

http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide02.html#l13

and search down for CSH_NULL_GLOB for more on the related options.

pws

* Re: cd with wildcard fails instead cd's to home
@ 2021-04-27 14:50   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2021-04-27 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 27/04/2021 15:01, Peter Stephenson wrote:

> On 27 April 2021 at 13:46 zzapper <zsh@rayninfo.co.uk> wrote:
>> ~/Videos/kdenlivedemo > cd gggg*
>> ~ >      # <<<< BAD I've cd'd to home -- no warning message
> You've got the NULL_GLOB option set, which simply removes any argument
> with pattern characters in that doesn't match.

PWS,

>>> thanks that was it. <<<<

#setopt nullglob  # stops  a glob barfing if no matches <<< NOT EVEN
SURE THAT EVEN HELPED JUST A  BIT OF FORGOTTEN CLUDGE in my .zshrc

It was stopping a longish script from working but it took me ages to
isolate the problem.

I eventually whittled the script down to the one line that was the
culprit but a ton of red herrings on the journey !!

echo "Now can you give me back 6 hours of my life back LOL"

zzapper