zsh-users
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* access to mail archives via rsync
@ 2022-08-04  0:12 Jim
  2022-08-04  2:12 ` Phil Pennock
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Jim @ 2022-08-04  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 599 bytes --]

Hi,

In the zsh-announce archive, there is a README file that states:

This directory may also be downloaded via anonymous rsync; the URL is
<rsync.zsh.org::zsh-announce/>.  See the rsync(1) documentation for
details.

Tried the URL but either not using rsync correctly or something changed.
Got the following message:

@ERROR: Unknown module 'zsh-announce'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1817)
[Receiver=3.2.3]

Can any one verify if rsync of archive(s) are still available?  If so, are
the archives
for users and workers also available?

Thanks,

Jim Murphy

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 887 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: access to mail archives via rsync
  2022-08-04  0:12 access to mail archives via rsync Jim
@ 2022-08-04  2:12 ` Phil Pennock
  2022-08-04  3:02   ` Jim
  2022-08-04  9:41   ` Daniel Shahaf
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Phil Pennock @ 2022-08-04  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxtechguy; +Cc: zsh

On 2022-08-03 at 19:12 -0500, Jim wrote:
> In the zsh-announce archive, there is a README file that states:

Someone should fix that, but not me right now.

> Tried the URL but either not using rsync correctly or something changed.

Run:

    rsync rsync.zsh.org::

to see a list of the modules available.

Ultimately, you want: rsync.zsh.org::mla/zsh-announce/

> Can any one verify if rsync of archive(s) are still available?  If so, are
> the archives
> for users and workers also available?

Yes.  I don't know/recall why the module definitions might have changed.
But the mailing-list archives are all under the "mla" module.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: access to mail archives via rsync
  2022-08-04  2:12 ` Phil Pennock
@ 2022-08-04  3:02   ` Jim
  2022-08-04  9:41   ` Daniel Shahaf
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Jim @ 2022-08-04  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock; +Cc: zsh

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 572 bytes --]

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 9:12 PM Phil Pennock <
zsh-workers+phil.pennock@spodhuis.org> wrote:

> Run:
>
>     rsync rsync.zsh.org::
>
> to see a list of the modules available.
>
> Ultimately, you want: rsync.zsh.org::mla/zsh-announce/
>
> Yes.  I don't know/recall why the module definitions might have changed.
> But the mailing-list archives are all under the "mla" module.
>

Thank you. I have used rsync for years to move files around, but never via
a server.
Have to say I learned something new for the day.  Thank you for that too,
Appreciate the quick response.

Jim

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1049 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: access to mail archives via rsync
  2022-08-04  2:12 ` Phil Pennock
  2022-08-04  3:02   ` Jim
@ 2022-08-04  9:41   ` Daniel Shahaf
  2022-08-06 11:40     ` Daniel Shahaf
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-08-04  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxtechguy; +Cc: zsh

Phil Pennock wrote on Thu, 04 Aug 2022 02:12 +00:00:
> On 2022-08-03 at 19:12 -0500, Jim wrote:
>> In the zsh-announce archive, there is a README file that states:
>
> Someone should fix that, but not me right now.
>
>> Tried the URL but either not using rsync correctly or something changed.
>
> Run:
>
>     rsync rsync.zsh.org::
>
> to see a list of the modules available.
>
> Ultimately, you want: rsync.zsh.org::mla/zsh-announce/
>
>> Can any one verify if rsync of archive(s) are still available?  If so, are
>> the archives
>> for users and workers also available?
>
> Yes.  I don't know/recall why the module definitions might have changed.
> But the mailing-list archives are all under the "mla" module.

The primenet transition was 2 years ago and I guess the README language
predates that, so I'm voting to change README to match the implementation.

I'd do it but ENOTIME at the moment.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: access to mail archives via rsync
  2022-08-04  9:41   ` Daniel Shahaf
@ 2022-08-06 11:40     ` Daniel Shahaf
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-08-06 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Daniel Shahaf wrote on Thu, 04 Aug 2022 09:41 +00:00:
> The primenet transition was 2 years ago and I guess the README language
> predates that,

I may have misspoken here.

> so I'm voting to change README to match the implementation.

Done.

Thanks for the report.

Daniel


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2022-08-06 11:42 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2022-08-04  0:12 access to mail archives via rsync Jim
2022-08-04  2:12 ` Phil Pennock
2022-08-04  3:02   ` Jim
2022-08-04  9:41   ` Daniel Shahaf
2022-08-06 11:40     ` Daniel Shahaf

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.vuxu.org/mirror/zsh/

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).