zsh-users
* How to learn zsh
@ 2011-06-27 14:59 TJ Luoma
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: TJ Luoma @ 2011-06-27 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

I have been using zsh for years, but I don't think I have ever
really progressed beyond the 'advanced beginner' stage.

As such, I don't think I am taking advantage of all that zsh has
to offer, and therefore am no doubt doing some things "the hard
way" because I don't know any better.

Is there a resource out there designed for folks like me? I
tried Googling but didn't have much success.

Thanks

TjL

* Re: How to learn zsh
@ 2011-06-27 15:05 ` İsmail Dönmez
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2011-06-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TJ Luoma; +Cc: Zsh Users

Hi;

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM, TJ Luoma <luomat@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using zsh for years, but I don't think I have ever really
> progressed beyond the 'advanced beginner' stage.
>
> As such, I don't think I am taking advantage of all that zsh has to offer,
> and therefore am no doubt doing some things "the hard way" because I don't
> know any better.
>
> Is there a resource out there designed for folks like me? I tried Googling
> but didn't have much success.

"Best of ZSH tips" [0] is a good resource for advanced tips.

[0] http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/tips/zshtips.html

Regards,
ismail

* Re: How to learn zsh
@ 2011-06-27 15:15   ` Mike Hernandez
From: Mike Hernandez @ 2011-06-27 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 17:05 +0200, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM, TJ Luoma <luomat@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have been using zsh for years, but I don't think I have ever really
> > progressed beyond the 'advanced beginner' stage.
> >
> > As such, I don't think I am taking advantage of all that zsh has to offer,
> > and therefore am no doubt doing some things "the hard way" because I don't
> > know any better.
> >
> > Is there a resource out there designed for folks like me? I tried Googling
> > but didn't have much success.
> >

> "Best of ZSH tips" [0] is a good resource for advanced tips.
>
> [0] http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/tips/zshtips.html
>
> Regards,
> ismail

Also check out the Zsh Lovers guide: http://grml.org/zsh/zsh-lovers.html

And the book From Bash to Zsh. Great stuff!

Good luck!

--Mike H

* Re: How to learn zsh
@ 2011-06-27 15:15 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2011-06-27 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:59:10 -0400
TJ Luoma <luomat@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using zsh for years, but I don't think I have ever
> really progressed beyond the 'advanced beginner' stage.
>
> As such, I don't think I am taking advantage of all that zsh has
> to offer, and therefore am no doubt doing some things "the hard
> way" because I don't know any better.
>
> Is there a resource out there designed for folks like me? I
> tried Googling but didn't have much success.

Hmm, looks like we need to do some work at http://www.bash2zsh.com/.

pws

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Follow CSR on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CSR_PLC and read our blog at www.csr.com/blog

* Re: How to learn zsh
@ 2011-06-27 15:28 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2011-06-27 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Jun 27, 10:59am, TJ Luoma wrote:
} Subject: How to learn zsh
}
} I have been using zsh for years, but I don't think I have ever
} really progressed beyond the 'advanced beginner' stage.
}
} Is there a resource out there designed for folks like me?

There's always The Book ("From Bash to Zsh"):

http://www.amazon.com/Bash-Shell-Conquering-Command-Line/dp/1590593766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309188375&sr=8-1

* Re: How to learn zsh
@ 2011-06-27 15:52   ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2011-06-27 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Users

Hi;

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Peter Stephenson
<Peter.Stephenson@csr.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:59:10 -0400
> TJ Luoma <luomat@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been using zsh for years, but I don't think I have ever
> > really progressed beyond the 'advanced beginner' stage.
> >
> > As such, I don't think I am taking advantage of all that zsh has
> > to offer, and therefore am no doubt doing some things "the hard
> > way" because I don't know any better.
> >
> > Is there a resource out there designed for folks like me? I
> > tried Googling but didn't have much success.
>
> Hmm, looks like we need to do some work at http://www.bash2zsh.com/.

Never heard of it, thanks for sharing! :)

Regards,
ismail

* Re: How to learn zsh
@ 2011-06-27 16:54   ` TjL
From: TjL @ 2011-06-27 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Peter Stephenson
<Peter.Stephenson@csr.com> wrote:

> Hmm, looks like we need to do some work at http://www.bash2zsh.com/.

Actually one of the first things I looked at was a Kindle search for
'zsh' but I saw that book[1], but I also saw it is from 2004, and I
assumed (perhaps wrongly?) that it wouldn't be up to date.

Didn't know about the website.

Then again, now that I know how to reach one of the authors maybe that
is less of a concern :-)

Will check it out. Thanks!

TjL

ps - is there a preferred site to buy it from other than Amazon? If
so, please let me know.

[1] http://amzn.to/md76WN aka

http://www.amazon.com/Bash-Shell-Conquering-Command-ebook/dp/B001GIOFNI/

* Re: How to learn zsh
@ 2011-06-27 17:03     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2011-06-27 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Users

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:54:58 -0400
TjL <luomat@gmail.com> wrote:
> ps - is there a preferred site to buy it from other than Amazon? If
> so, please let me know.

If we direct people anywhere it tends to be Amazon.  The only other
place to try I can think of is the publisher, who do ebooks in various
formats (there's a link from bash2zsh.com).

pws

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Follow CSR on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CSR_PLC and read our blog at www.csr.com/blog

* Re: How to learn zsh
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-06-29  8:56 ` Simon Olofsson
From: Simon Olofsson @ 2011-06-29  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On 06/27/2011 04:59 PM, TJ Luoma wrote:
> Is there a resource out there designed for folks like me?

If you read German, there's a really good book ("Zsh. Die magische Shell"):
  http://amzn.to/jRFYXr

Regards,
Simon