zsh-users
* sh: reuse/src doesn not exist..
@ 2002-01-28 13:42 Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2002-01-28 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Hello!

I am having problems with a makefile, I have zsh 4.something as shell,
and when firing up the target:

m_reuselib:
        sh -c "if test -d reuse/src; \
        then echo; echo Making public Modula reuse library; \
        cd reuse/src    && $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS); else true; fi"

from a makefile, I get the errors:

src> make
sh -c "if test -d reuse/src; \
then echo; echo Making public Modula reuse library; \
cd reuse/src    && make BIN=/vobs/tools/cocktail/solaris/bin
LIB=/vobs/tools/cocktail/solaris/lib CC='cc' CPPC='CC' MC='cat >
/dev/null; :'  OPT='' HOME=/vobs/tools/cocktail/solaris CPP='gcc -E'
RANLIB='ranlib'
INSTALL_PROGRAM='/dept/develop/aes/cocktail/cocktail/inst-sh -c'
INSTALL_DATA='/dept/develop/aes/cocktail/cocktail/inst-sh -c -m 644'
ANSI_OBJECTS='rGetopt.o rFsearch.o rSrcMem.o'; else true; fi"

Making public Modula reuse library
sh: reuse/src: does not exist
*** Error code 1

When I run it as a user with other shell as login-shell, it works
fine.. Hmm what is who missing?? Both solaris make, and gnu make..

Does zsh do something with the sh? overload it??

        /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Re: sh: reuse/src doesn not exist..
@ 2002-01-28 13:55 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-01-28 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Andrew Markebo wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am having problems with a makefile, I have zsh 4.something as shell,
> and when firing up the target:
>
> m_reuselib:
>         sh -c "if test -d reuse/src; \
>         then echo; echo Making public Modula reuse library; \
>         cd reuse/src    && $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS); else true; fi"
>
> from a makefile, I get the errors:
>
> src> make
> Making public Modula reuse library
> sh: reuse/src: does not exist
> *** Error code 1

Are you sure `sh' is zsh?  That's not a zsh error message, and a system error
message via perror() is usually more specific --- `no such file or
directory' is standard.  But it may just be your system is weird.

Have you got `.' in your CDPATH?  If not, and that's exported (or otherwise
accessible to the makefile), some shells won't cd into immediate
subdirectories.  You should easily be able to test this by turning the cd
into `cd ./reuse/src'.  However, if you've really got zsh as sh, this won't
be the problem, since zsh always searches `.' first.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: sh: reuse/src doesn not exist..
@ 2002-01-28 14:15   ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2002-01-28 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-users

[...]
| > src> make
| > Making public Modula reuse library
| > sh: reuse/src: does not exist
| > *** Error code 1
|
| Are you sure `sh' is zsh?  That's not a zsh error message, and a system error
| message via perror() is usually more specific --- `no such file or
| directory' is standard.  But it may just be your system is weird.

No idea if sh is fired up as zsh or sh, the problem is that logged in
with zsh as shell the make fails, but with bash/tcsh as login shell
the make succeeds, therefore I blame zsh ;-)

| Have you got `.' in your CDPATH?  If not, and that's exported (or otherwise
| accessible to the makefile), some shells won't cd into immediate
| subdirectories.  You should easily be able to test this by turning the cd
| into `cd ./reuse/src'.  However, if you've really got zsh as sh, this won't
| be the problem, since zsh always searches `.' first.

Hmm '.' was not in cdpath.. a small buggie.. ;-) *testing testing*
Yepp bingo.

Thanx

        /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!