zsh-users
* 'ignore-line yes' style semantics?
@ 2011-05-08 19:52 Ole Jørgen Brønner
From: Ole Jørgen Brønner @ 2011-05-08 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

Why does 'ignore-line yes' ignore the _current_ word too? If this is somehow useful in some cases, could we get another option ignoring all words except the current one?

I'm almost burned myself when using
     zstyle ':completion:*:(mv|rm|kill|diff):*' ignore-line yes
and doing
     rm someprefix<tab>
in a directory with files 'someprefix' and 'someprefix_important'. In this case someprefix will expand to someprefix_important

(minimal rc file inclued)

--
Ole Jørgen Brønner

[-- Attachment #2: ignore-line-yes.zsh --]

autoload -Uz compinit
compinit

zstyle ':completion:*:(mv|rm|kill|diff):*' ignore-line yes

cd /tmp
touch prefix
touch prefix_important

ls prefix*

echo "now do"
echo "rm prefix<tab>"tab

* Re: 'ignore-line yes' style semantics?
@ 2011-05-08 20:09 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2011-05-08 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ole Jørgen Brønner; +Cc: zsh-users

2011/5/8 Ole Jørgen Brønner <olejorgenb@yahoo.no>:
> Why does 'ignore-line yes' ignore the _current_ word too? If this is somehow
> useful in some cases, could we get another option ignoring all words except
> the current one?
>
> I'm almost burned myself when using
>    zstyle ':completion:*:(mv|rm|kill|diff):*' ignore-line yes
> and doing
>    rm someprefix<tab>
> in a directory with files 'someprefix' and 'someprefix_important'. In this
> case someprefix will expand to someprefix_important
>
> (minimal rc file inclued)
>

>> ignore-line
>>
>>   Finally, if the style is set to other, no word apart from
>>   the current one will be considered as a possible completion.

Did you paste this manpage extract as a way of saying "never mind, I
found the answer"? But then why did you press send? Color me confused.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: 'ignore-line yes' style semantics?
@ 2011-05-08 22:45   ` Ole Jørgen Brønner
From: Ole Jørgen Brønner @ 2011-05-08 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: zsh-users

>>> ignore-line
>>>
>>>   Finally, if the style is set to other, no word apart from
>>>   the current one will be considered as a possible completion.
>
> Did you paste this manpage extract as a way of saying "never mind, I
> found the answer"? But then why did you press send? Color me confused.

Hehe :), no just so other people had a quick reference for the current behavior. I want to change it or add an extra option

* Re: 'ignore-line yes' style semantics?
@ 2011-05-08 22:46   ` Ole Jørgen Brønner
From: Ole Jørgen Brønner @ 2011-05-08 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

@ 2011-05-12 17:45     ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2011-05-12 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ole Jørgen Brønner; +Cc: zsh-users

2011/5/9 Ole Jørgen Brønner <olejorgenb@yahoo.no>:

>> Did you paste this manpage extract as a way of saying "never mind, I
>> found the answer"? But then why did you press send? Color me confused.
>>

> Hehe :), no just so other people had a quick reference for the current
> behavior. I want to change it or add an extra option

Okay, maybe the text you pasted is obvious to me, but not to you, or I
am completely misunderstanding what you want to do. Does setting the
style to "other" not do exactly what you want?

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: 'ignore-line yes' style semantics?
@ 2011-05-13  6:50       ` Ole Jørgen Brønner
From: Ole Jørgen Brønner @ 2011-05-13  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

On Thu, 12 May 2011 19:45:32 +0200, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Did you paste this manpage extract as a way of saying "never mind, I
>>> found the answer"? But then why did you press send? Color me confused.
>>>

>> Hehe :), no just so other people had a quick reference for the current
>> behavior. I want to change it or add an extra option
>
> Okay, maybe the text you pasted is obvious to me, but not to you, or I
> am completely misunderstanding what you want to do. Does setting the
> style to "other" not do exactly what you want?

Hm.. that seems indeed to be the case :) I can no longer remember what I thought the 'other' value did. Maybe something like that _only_ the current word (of like, all possible words) would be considered, although that doesn't make sense at all. I can swear I tested it though, but apparently not.

Thanks, and sorry for the last double post