zsh-users
* array/variable inconsistency
@ 1999-02-04 15:59 John Cooper
From: John Cooper @ 1999-02-04 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-users

[I use zsh on NT, version 3.0.5-nt-beta-0.54]

When I set path as an array, the value is reflected in the uppercase PATH
environment variable:

    $ path=(one two three)
    $ echo $PATH
    one;two;three
    $

However, this doesn't work for (most) other variables:

    $ classpath=(one two three)
    $ echo $CLASSPATH
    c:/jdk1.1.7B/lib/classes.zip;.

How can I arrange for this to work with for my CLASSPATH example?

[please copy me on any responses, as I'm not on the mailing list]

Thanks,

    --- John

* Re: array/variable inconsistency
@ 1999-02-04 16:30 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-02-04 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Cooper, zsh-users

On Feb 4,  3:59pm, John Cooper wrote:
} Subject: array/variable inconsistency
}
} When I set path as an array, the value is reflected in the uppercase PATH
} environment variable:
}
}     $ path=(one two three)
}     $ echo $PATH
}
} However, this doesn't work for (most) other variables

PATH and path are "special" variables which zsh handles internally.  The
same is true of FPATH/fpath and a couple of others.

There's no facility for linking an arbitrary pair of variables this way
in any released version of zsh.  This linking feature was added very
recently by a patch to the 3.1.x development version of zsh, but AFAIK
that version has never been ported to Windows.