zsh-workers
* Multibyte Input On OS X Again...
@ 2007-04-05 13:14 Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2007-04-05 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello,

I have emailed the list before about the problems I have with
multibyte input using zsh on OS X.  I still can't get it to work, I
think that it has to do with composited versus non-composited
characters possibly, when I have to composite a character (hit one key
then another) to get a specific character but that character is a
single character on the command line things go badly.  In bash with
readline everything works fine.  I made a movie of the problem in zsh
and then showing bash doing just fine.  Hopefully it will help.  The
character sequence that you can partially see being pressed in the
keyboard viewer is "opt-6" then "i".  In my keyboard layout this gets
i with a hat.  Anyway, hopefully this movie is also watchable in
linux, etc.  It should be a fairly standard quicktime container with a
short H.264 movie inside, no audio.

Thanks,
Jordan Breeding

[-- Attachment #1.2: zsh_bug.mov --]
[-- Type: video/quicktime, Size: 399447 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Multibyte Input On OS X Again...
@ 2007-04-06  0:03 ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2007-04-06  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 2007-04-05 08:14:25 -0500, Jordan Breeding wrote:
>  I have emailed the list before about the problems I have with multibyte
>  input using zsh on OS X.  I still can't get it to work, I think that it has
>  to do with composited versus non-composited characters possibly, when I have
>  to composite a character (hit one key then another) to get a specific
>  character but that character is a single character on the command line
>  things go badly.  In bash with readline everything works fine.  I made a
>  movie of the problem in zsh and then showing bash doing just fine.

But note that there are other cases where zsh does fine while bash
doesn't behave correctly, e.g.

zsh (after an "unsetopt PROMPT_CR") does fine. This case concerns the
output of a combining character, but I think that the input and output
are related. So, please, don't add a bug here when fixing the problem. :)

Another problem specific to bash:

vinc17@prunille:~/blah$ mkdir é
vinc17@prunille:~/blah$ echo [TAB]

gives:

vinc17@prunille:~/blah$ echo é/

If you type the right arrow several times, the cursor moves backward
and forward alternatively.

* Re: Multibyte Input On OS X Again...
@ 2007-04-06  5:10   ` Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2007-04-06  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)