zsh-workers
* Accept filename completion
@ 2008-01-14 16:46 Jörg Sommer
From: Jörg Sommer @ 2008-01-14 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

how do I tell zsh that I take a completion? When I complete
/usr/s<TAB><TAB> I get /usr/sbin. Pressing TAB again gives me /usr/share,
but I want to see the files in /usr/sbin. How to do this?

Bye, Jörg.
--
A red sign on the door of a physics professor: 'If this sign is blue,
you're going too fast.'

* Re: Accept filename completion
@ 2008-01-14 16:55 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2008-01-14 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 14/01/2008, Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how do I tell zsh that I take a completion? When I complete
> /usr/s<TAB><TAB> I get /usr/sbin. Pressing TAB again gives me /usr/share,
> but I want to see the files in /usr/sbin. How to do this?

Press /<tab>

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Accept filename completion
@ 2008-01-16 19:12   ` Jörg Sommer
From: Jörg Sommer @ 2008-01-16 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi Mikael,

"Mikael Magnusson" <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/01/2008, Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how do I tell zsh that I take a completion? When I complete
>> /usr/s<TAB><TAB> I get /usr/sbin. Pressing TAB again gives me /usr/share,
>> but I want to see the files in /usr/sbin. How to do this?
>
> Press /<tab>

That's not really useful when you complete something else than
directories. It there really nothing else than stop the completion and
start a new one?

Bye, Jörg.
--
Dummheit anprangern ist ungefährlich, weil sich niemand angegriffen fühlt.

* Re: Accept filename completion
@ 2008-01-16 21:03     ` Vin Shelton
From: Vin Shelton @ 2008-01-16 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jörg Sommer; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Jan 16, 2008 2:12 PM, Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:

> Hi Mikael,
>
> "Mikael Magnusson" <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 14/01/2008, Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> how do I tell zsh that I take a completion? When I complete
> >> /usr/s<TAB><TAB> I get /usr/sbin. Pressing TAB again gives me
> /usr/share,
> >> but I want to see the files in /usr/sbin. How to do this?
> >
> > Press /<tab>
>
> That's not really useful when you complete something else than
> directories. It there really nothing else than stop the completion and
> start a new one?

If I understand what you mean, perhaps accept-and-menu-complete does what
you want?

ls hello.<TAB>
hello.C     hello.cpp   hello.exe*  hello.obj*

then another <TAB> yields:

ls hello.C

M-x accept-and-menu-complete yields:

ls hello.C hello.cpp

 HTH,
  Vin

* Re: Accept filename completion
@ 2008-01-17  2:43     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-01-17  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Jan 16,  7:12pm, Jorg Sommer wrote:
} Subject: Re: Accept filename completion
}
} >> how do I tell zsh that I take a completion? When I complete
} >> /usr/s<TAB><TAB> I get /usr/sbin. Pressing TAB again gives me
} >> /usr/share, but I want to see the files in /usr/sbin. How to do
} >> this?
} >
} > Press /<tab>
}
} That's not really useful when you complete something else than
} directories. It there really nothing else than stop the completion and
} start a new one?

There really is nothing else.  You're in a menu, cycling through a
list of choices that zsh doesn't know how to disambiguate, so you have
to disambiguate for it by ending this completion.

Vin may be on the mark with his accept-and-menu-complete suggestion,
but circumstances still dictate what you have to do.  If you want to
complete again in the same context, e.g. another file in the same
directory, then use accept-and-menu-complete; otherwise you have to
change the context, e.g. descend to a subdirectory by adding a slash.