zsh-workers
* Interesting display corruption problem
@ 2008-02-06  1:03 Ismail Dönmez
From: Ismail Dönmez @ 2008-02-06  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi all,

I am getting a weird display corruption problem, it looks like this :

[/packages/python2.5]> cd ..
c%

Notice the c and % sign. This seems to happen if I press CTRL-C too fast for
example before the shell fully displays the command line. Asking in #zsh at
least one other person experienced the same problem.

It might be related to my PS1 which is :

export PS1="%{$fg[green]%}[%n@%m]%{$reset_color$fg[white]%}[%D{%H:%M:
%S}]%{$reset_color%}%{$fg_bold[blue]%}
[%~]>%{$reset_color%} "

Any ideas appreciated.

Regards,
ismail

--
Never learn by your mistakes, if you do you may never dare to try again.

* Re: Interesting display corruption problem
@ 2008-02-06  2:26 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-02-06  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ismail, zsh-workers

On Feb 6,  3:03am, Ismail wrote:
}
} I am getting a weird display corruption problem, it looks like this :
}
} [/packages/python2.5]> cd ..
} c%
}
} Notice the c and % sign.

Why do you think this is "corruption"?

The mostly likely explanation is the PROMPT_SP option.  Doc excerpt:

     When a partial line is preserved, you will see an inverse+bold
     character at the end of the partial line:  a "%" for a normal user
     or a "#" for root.

* Re: Interesting display corruption problem
@ 2008-02-06  2:37   ` Ismail Dönmez
From: Ismail Dönmez @ 2008-02-06  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

At Wednesday 06 February 2008 around 04:26:17 Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Feb 6,  3:03am, Ismail wrote:
> }
> } I am getting a weird display corruption problem, it looks like this :
> }
> } [/packages/python2.5]> cd ..
> } c%
> }
> } Notice the c and % sign.
>
> Why do you think this is "corruption"?
>
> The mostly likely explanation is the PROMPT_SP option.  Doc excerpt:
>
>      When a partial line is preserved, you will see an inverse+bold
>      character at the end of the partial line:  a "%" for a normal user
>      or a "#" for root.

Because I have never seen this with bash, so I thought it might be a bug
instead. Thanks for your explanation.

I see the behavior easier now :

[~]> echo -n foo
foo%
[~]>

Is there a way to omit this % ? Because if I do setopt NOPROMPT_SP it got
worse :

[~]> echo -n foo
[~]>

Nothing is printed.

Regards,
ismail

--

@ 2008-02-06  4:56     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-02-06  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ismail Dönmez; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Feb 6,  4:37am, Ismail Dönmez wrote:
}
} Is there a way to omit this % ? Because if I do setopt NOPROMPT_SP it got
} worse

FAQ question 3.23: How do I prevent the prompt overwriting output when
there is no newline?

I'd point you at one of the web locations for the FAQ, but they're all
still covering zsh 4.2.x (I guess) and don't have the latest text that
discusses PROMPT_SP.  So if you don't have a FAQ document somewhere in
your zsh install or sources, send me a note and I'll send you the text.