zsh-workers
* echotc
@ 1996-05-08 21:13 Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1996-05-08 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

In 2.6-beta17, echotc doesn't work properly on string properties.  It
outputs "no", as if the property didn't exist.  Numeric and boolean
properties work correctly, and the strings are used correctly in prompt
sequences such as %s.  beta16 works correctly.  This is on SunOS 4.

-zefram

* Re: echotc
@ 1996-05-09  0:21 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-05-09  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram; +Cc: zsh-workers

> In 2.6-beta17, echotc doesn't work properly on string properties.  It
> outputs "no", as if the property didn't exist.  Numeric and boolean
> properties work correctly, and the strings are used correctly in prompt
> sequences such as %s.  beta16 works correctly.  This is on SunOS 4.

This can only happen if NCURSES_VERSION but you do not link zsh with
ncurses or if your ncurses behaves differently than mine.  I use 1.9.8a
and it the tgetflags function there returns 1 if a boolean capability is
on, 0 if it is off and -1 if there is no boolean capability with that
name.  We can add checks for older ncurses'es if necessary.

Zoltan

* Re: echotc
@ 1996-05-09  0:36   ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1996-05-09  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi; +Cc: A.Main, zsh-workers

>This can only happen if NCURSES_VERSION but you do not link zsh with
>ncurses or if your ncurses behaves differently than mine.  I use 1.9.8a
>and it the tgetflags function there returns 1 if a boolean capability is
>on, 0 if it is off and -1 if there is no boolean capability with that
>name.  We can add checks for older ncurses'es if necessary.

It shouldn't be touching ncurses at all.  There is a termcap library
that works, and a quick strings of the binary shows that it's linked
with it.  The man page makes no mention of tgetflag() returning -1,
however.

-zefram

* Re: echotc
@ 1996-05-09  0:44     ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-05-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram; +Cc: A.Main, zsh-workers

> >This can only happen if NCURSES_VERSION but you do not link zsh with
> >ncurses or if your ncurses behaves differently than mine.  I use 1.9.8a
> >and it the tgetflags function there returns 1 if a boolean capability is
> >on, 0 if it is off and -1 if there is no boolean capability with that
> >name.  We can add checks for older ncurses'es if necessary.
>
> It shouldn't be touching ncurses at all.  There is a termcap library
> that works, and a quick strings of the binary shows that it's linked
> with it.  The man page makes no mention of tgetflag() returning -1,
> however.

But look at the code in builtin.c.  puts("no"); near line 4193 is compiled
iff NCURSES_VERSION is defined.  I did compile zsh on SunOS 4 and echotc
works for me (without ncurses).  If one is not careful enough when
installing ncurses, ncurses installs termcap.h which will be used instead
of the system termcap.h which will cause problems with other applications
as well not only with zsh.  Are you sure that the included termcap.h does
not come from ncurses?

Zoltan

* Re: echotc
@ 1996-05-09  0:46       ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1996-05-09  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi; +Cc: A.Main, zsh-workers

>But look at the code in builtin.c.  puts("no"); near line 4193 is compiled
>iff NCURSES_VERSION is defined.  I did compile zsh on SunOS 4 and echotc
>works for me (without ncurses).  If one is not careful enough when
>installing ncurses, ncurses installs termcap.h which will be used instead
>of the system termcap.h which will cause problems with other applications
>as well not only with zsh.  Are you sure that the included termcap.h does
>not come from ncurses?

Ah.

I've warned the sysadmin about this before.  Several programs have
stopped working since he installed ncurses.  I'll have another little
talk with him later today.

Sorry everyone.

-zefram