zsh-workers
* zsh download links
@ 2018-09-28 12:01 Jun T
From: Jun T @ 2018-09-28 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Links in
(1) http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Arc/source.html
still point to zsh-5.5.1, and the last entry in http://zsh.sourceforge.net/News/
is also 5.5.1.

If a user starts from the top page
(2) http://zsh.sourceforge.net
it would be quite difficult to find the SourceForge's download page
(3) https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/
or the download page in zsh.org
(4) http://www.zsh.org/pub/

It seems the only way to reach (3) from (2) is via the link at the bottom of (1),
"Older releases can be downloaded from the zsh downloads on Sourceforge",
and I can't find any page that has a link to (4).

Even if a user finds the page (3), the "Download Latest Version" link on the page
points to 5.6.1, not 5.6.2.

On the page one step below (3),
https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh/
we see many users are still downloading 5.5.1 and 5.6.1; I guess many of them are
via the link in (1), or the "Download Latest Version".

* Re: zsh download links
@ 2018-09-28 14:38 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2018-09-28 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun T, zsh-workers

Jun T wrote on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 21:01 +0900:
> Links in
> (1) http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Arc/source.html
> still point to zsh-5.5.1, and the last entry in http://zsh.sourceforge.net/News/
> is also 5.5.1.

Fixed.  It may take a few minutes for sourceforge's caches to pick it up.

Could I ask for someone to (1) add this to Etc/creating-a-release.txt,
(2) write a script for updating that page that can be run as part of the
release process?  I've got my hands full.  (The web pages are in git;
creating-a-release.txt has a pointer.)

> If a user starts from the top page
> (2) http://zsh.sourceforge.net
> it would be quite difficult to find the SourceForge's download page
> (3) https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/
> or the download page in zsh.org
> (4) http://www.zsh.org/pub/

I agree.  The Web pages are in git.  They're straight html (not
generated from anything).  Would you have time to patch this?

> It seems the only way to reach (3) from (2) is via the link at the
> bottom of (1), "Older releases can be downloaded from the zsh
> downloads on Sourceforge", and I can't find any page that has a
> link to (4).
>
> Even if a user finds the page (3), the "Download Latest Version" link
> on the page points to 5.6.1, not 5.6.2.

Fixed.  It may take a few minutes for sourceforge's caches to pick it
up.  I must have overlooked this last time, sorry.

Cheers,

Daniel