zsh-workers
* Nasty bug in 2.6-beta10-hzoli10.2
@ 1995-08-14  2:34 Vidiot
From: Vidiot @ 1995-08-14  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Create the following:

	dir () { ls -lga $* | more }

Do a dir in any directory that will cause you to fill the screen.  Hit the
letter "q" to quit MORE.  Even a Ctrl-C crashes zsh.

Crash, one each core file :-(

SunOS 4.1.3_U1, OpenWindows 3 using Xterms.

If this ain't fixed damn soon, I will have to go back to a previous version.

MB
--
System Administrator - FT/MS - Madison WI.
e-mail: brown@ftms.com

* Re: Nasty bug in 2.6-beta10-hzoli10.2
       [not found] <199508141546.RAA02552@bolyai.cs.elte.hu>
@ 1995-08-14 16:17 ` Vidiot
From: Vidiot @ 1995-08-14 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zoltan:

<> I've already sent you the lines involved in the configure script.  I'll bet
<> that the hand edit of the grep fix didn't work as you wanted.
<
<Yes, I've just had a closer look at the part of configure you sent and the
<problem is probably there.  Between the brackets there should be a space and a
<TAB and not just spaces.  If you pasted this line with a mouse than there are
<probably spaces in your configure.  I also checked sys/signal.h under SunOS
<4.1.2 and it does contains TABs in the relevant places so I'm almost sure that
<this is your problem.  Here under SunOS 4.1.2 configure successfully found
<sys/signal.h and I think that there is not too much difference between 4.1.2
<and 4.1.3.

BINGO!!

Problem found.

Zoltan sent me a patch to fix the grep problem in the configure files.
Because I had never seen the patch file type that he sent me, I hand edited
the patches, using cut-n-paste.  Well, the grep line has <space><tab> in it,
which got converted to multiple <space>.

The new zsh works much better when the signames.h file is correct :-)

Thanks Zoltan.

MB
--

       [not found] <199508141509.KAA10536@ftms.ftms.com>
@ 1995-08-14 15:20 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1995-08-14 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vidiot; +Cc: zsh-workers

Vidiot wrote:

> <I still suspect that your signames.h is wrongly generated.  Many systems has a
> <broken nawk which causes very similar problems.  Check that your signames.h
> <again.  It should begin like this (on SunOS 4.1.2):
> <
> </** signals.h                                 **/
> </** architecture-customized signals.h for zsh **/
> <
> <#define SIGCOUNT        31
>
> Here is my file:
>
> /** signals.h                                 **/
> /** architecture-customized signals.h for zsh **/
>
> #define SIGCOUNT        0
>
> #ifdef GLOBALS
>
> char *sigmsg[SIGCOUNT+2] = {
>         "done",
>         NULL
> };
>
> char *sigs[SIGCOUNT+4] = {
>         "EXIT",
>         "ZERR",
>         "DEBUG",
>         NULL
> };
>
> #else
> extern char *sigs[SIGCOUNT+4],*sigmsg[SIGCOUNT+2];
> #endif
>

> You are right in that it is wrong.  Now we have to figure out what is wrong
> with the awk script.  Why do I say that?  Because gawk has been used all
> along.  I've had it installed for ages and configure finds it.  Here is the
> line from the make:
>
> 	gawk -f ./signames.awk < /dev/null > signames.h
>
> Any ideas?

I think you forgot to remove config.cache before running configure and
configure used the cached place for signal.h, which was /dev/null.  Remove
config.cache and run configure again.  I really forgot to mention this.
While running configure, watch for the line:

checking where signal.h is located... /usr/include/sys/signal.h

If your configure finds something else, send me the output of configure and
the congig.log file.  In this case you can create the signames.h by hand using

gawk -f ./signames.awk < /usr/include/sys/signal.h > signames.h

Otherwise remove signames.h and do a make.

Zoltan

* Re: Nasty bug in 2.6-beta10-hzoli10.2
@ 1995-08-14 14:29   ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1995-08-14 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vidiot; +Cc: zsh-workers

> Well, I removed the signames.h file and did a reconfig.  I had already
> patched the configure script so that it doesn't use grep -q.
>
> Did a new make and installed.
>
> Same crash.  I noticed that it doesn't crash if OpenWindows isn't running.
>
> Hope this helps.  Meanwhile, I'm back on a previous version.

I still suspect that your signames.h is wrongly generated.  Many systems has a
broken nawk which causes very similar problems.  Check that your signames.h
again.  It should begin like this (on SunOS 4.1.2):

/** signals.h                                 **/
/** architecture-customized signals.h for zsh **/

#define SIGCOUNT        31

If SIGCOUNT is smaller than 31 it is very likely that your signames.h is
wrongly generated.  If you read the BUGS file I included you can find this
problem there.  I did not mention SunOS there as I had no problems here
compiling zsh on SunOS.  I use zsh on SunOS 4.1.2, Solaris 2.3, OSF1 V2.0, AIX
3.2, Ultrix 4.2, some SVR4 os with m88k CPU, elf and aout-linux 1.2.x.  I
cannot test zsh on other OS (well if it is necessary I may get an account on a
HP-UX).

I use Solaris and Linux most so I may miss some problems on other OS's.  The
best fix is to get and compile gawk, put it in your path and reconfigure zsh
(configure should notice gawk in your patch).  Everything should compile and
work fine after that.

Zoltan

* Re: Nasty bug in 2.6-beta10-hzoli10.2
       [not found] <9508140339.AA02360@cs.vt.edu>
@ 1995-08-14  5:49 ` Vidiot
From: Vidiot @ 1995-08-14  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy said:

<Since I don't have access to a 4.1.3 machine anymore I cant duplicate
<your problem.  But have you checked your signames.h file to make sure
<it is valid?  There is a bug in the configure script that a "grep -q ..."
<the "-q" must be removed, remove signames.h and reconfigure.  Don't know if
<that will help.  I have no problems on Solaris 2.4.  The first time
<I ran configure I ignored the error messages and I had similar behavior
<running that binary until I removed the "-q".  Sometimes error messages pay
<off. :) :)

       [not found] <9508140251.AA02272@cs.vt.edu>
@ 1995-08-14  2:59 ` Vidiot
From: Vidiot @ 1995-08-14  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy:

<I don't know if you mean to sound this way, but several of your
<messages have bordered on seeming kind of nasty.  Zsh is freeware,
<and is maintained by people like you and me, not by a commercial company.
<People aren't going to fix things unless they want to fix them for
<you, sometimes it helps to be a little nicer.
<
<> If this ain't fixed damn soon, I will have to go back to a previous version.
<
<might be better phrased
<
<"Could someone please fix this soon, I don't want to have to switch to
< a previous version."
<
<Just my 2 cents worth.  You might make some people upset.

Right you are.

But you should have heard me screaming when things started crashing for the
simplist of commands.  It turns out that you can't even ^Z a running program.
Crash city.

Needless to say, I have to go back to zsh-2.6-beta5 until this is fixed.

MB