zsh-workers
* Make problem - zsh 2.6-beta13 under NeXTSTEP3.3
@ 1996-03-29 16:03 Andrew_Forkes
From: Andrew_Forkes @ 1996-03-29 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

I have been trying to install zsh 2.6-beta13 under
NeXTSTEP-Intel486-V3.3, but have come across an error while trying to
build the distribution:

Make compiles up the source (Src) directory no problems, and then moves
forward to the Doc directory, after which I receive a "No Suffix list."
error.  I also notice it on the very first line after starting a make.

andrew:ellcia> make
No suffix list.
for subdir in Src Doc Etc Functions StartupFiles Misc Util; do  (cd
$subdir && make CC='cc' CPPFLAGS='' DEFS='-DHAVE_CONFIG_H'  CFLAGS='-Wall
-Wno-implicit -Wmissing-prototypes -fwritable-strings -O2' LDFLAGS=''
LIBS='-ltermcap'  prefix='/usr/local' exec_prefix='/usr/local'
bindir='/usr/local/bin'  infodir='/usr/local/info'
mandir='/usr/local/man' manext='1' all) || exit 1;  done
sed -n -f ./makepro.sed builtin.c > builtin.pro
sed -n -f ./makepro.sed compat.c > compat.pro
sed -n -f ./makepro.sed cond.c > cond.pro
:
:  ... {Snip on the compile stuff} ...
:
cp zshexpn.man zshexpn.1
cp zshmisc.man zshmisc.1
cp zshoptions.man zshoptions.1
cp zshparam.man zshparam.1
cp zshzle.man zshzle.1
sed -e 's|path-to-man-pages|/usr/local/man/man1|' ./zshall.man > zshall.1
No suffix list.
No suffix list.
No suffix list.
No suffix list.
No suffix list.

Any clues to a fix would be great.  BTW, I'm not a member of this list.

Many thanks, and congratulations on such an excellent shell!
-------
Andrew D. Forkes
email: <Andrew_Forkes@arzana.co.uk> (NeXTmail & MIME are fine!)
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only understanding." - ALBERT
EINSTEIN 1879-1955

* Re: Make problem - zsh 2.6-beta13 under NeXTSTEP3.3
@ 1996-03-30  7:44 ` Richard J. Coleman
From: Richard J. Coleman @ 1996-03-30  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew_Forkes; +Cc: zsh-workers

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to install zsh 2.6-beta13 under
> NeXTSTEP-Intel486-V3.3, but have come across an error while trying to
> build the distribution:
>
> Make compiles up the source (Src) directory no problems, and then moves
> forward to the Doc directory, after which I receive a "No Suffix list."
> error.  I also notice it on the very first line after starting a make.
>
> No suffix list.
> No suffix list.
> No suffix list.
> No suffix list.
> No suffix list.
>
> Any clues to a fix would be great.  BTW, I'm not a member of this list.

It's not really an error.  It's NeXT's make being overly bitchy
about something that's not a problem.   The lines

.SUFFIX

are just clearing the default suffix list for that Makefile.
I added those since certain makes (particularly GNU make) are overly
aggressive about firing off default rules.

Don't worry about it.  It doesn't hurt anything.

rc