zsh-workers
* is anyone using non-POSIX signals?
@ 1996-04-11  1:10 Richard J. Coleman
From: Richard J. Coleman @ 1996-04-11  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Is anyone using zsh (say newer than beta8) on a machine
that doesn't have POSIX signals?  When you run configure
on your machine, one of the tests should say something like

checking what style of signals to use... POSIX_SIGNALS

I'm curious if anyone has been using zsh on a machine that
returns BSD_SIGNALS or SYSV_SIGNALS for this configure check.

I'm planning on doing some more work on the signals code
and wondered if keeping all the compatability code around
was useful to anyone.  I believe almost every machine around
should have the posix signals by now.

rc

* Re: is anyone using non-POSIX signals?
@ 1996-04-11  5:34 ` Barton E. Schaefer
From: Barton E. Schaefer @ 1996-04-11  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard J. Coleman, zsh-workers

On Apr 10,  9:10pm, Richard J. Coleman wrote:
} Subject: is anyone using non-POSIX signals?
}
} Is anyone using zsh (say newer than beta8) on a machine
} that doesn't have POSIX signals?

Asking this of the zsh *developers* isn't necessarily a good cross-
section of platforms on which people use zsh.

Call me a reactionary, but I'd rather not abandon anyone if it can
be avoided.  We still get requests for builds of zmail on really
ancient unixes (most of which we have to turn down, to my chagrin).

Even if you don't keep supporting/testing the compatibility code,
it'd be nice to have some idea that the changes you're making don't
depend on something that it's impossible to emulate in the older
styles.  Someone stuck on one of those older systems ought to at
least have a chance of fixing it himself.

--
Bart Schaefer                     Vice President, Technology, Z-Code Software
schaefer@z-code.com                  Division of NCD Software Corporation

* Re: is anyone using non-POSIX signals?
@ 1996-04-11  5:47   ` Richard J. Coleman
From: Richard J. Coleman @ 1996-04-11  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

> } Is anyone using zsh (say newer than beta8) on a machine
> } that doesn't have POSIX signals?
>
> Asking this of the zsh *developers* isn't necessarily a good cross-
> section of platforms on which people use zsh.
>
> Call me a reactionary, but I'd rather not abandon anyone if it can
> be avoided.  We still get requests for builds of zmail on really
> ancient unixes (most of which we have to turn down, to my chagrin).
>
> Even if you don't keep supporting/testing the compatibility code,
> it'd be nice to have some idea that the changes you're making don't
> depend on something that it's impossible to emulate in the older
> styles.  Someone stuck on one of those older systems ought to at
> least have a chance of fixing it himself.

Well, I was mainly asking out of curiousity.  I don't think the
SYSV_SIGNALS and NO_SIGNAL_BLOCKING compatibility code even works.
Since no one has complained, I was wondering if anyone was using it.

rc