zsh-workers
* zsh crashes on osf/1 v3.2 when stripped
@ 1996-05-15 17:27 Daniel Brahneborg
From: Daniel Brahneborg @ 1996-05-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Daniel Brahneborg, Abalon AB

Hi!

I just built zsh 2.6p17 on several platforms, and only found one
small glitch: If the binary is stripped on OSF/1 V3.2, it dumps
core immediately.  A note about this in the Etc/MACHINES file
would be nice.

Thanks.

\Basic

P.S.
When I started working at my current job, everybody used bash.
Now, after I've told them about all fun things that is possible
with zsh, they are about to make zsh the standard shell instead.  :)
D.S.

* Re: zsh crashes on osf/1 v3.2 when stripped
@ 1996-05-15 20:43 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-05-15 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Brahneborg; +Cc: Zsh workers list

> Hi!
>
> I just built zsh 2.6p17 on several platforms, and only found one
> small glitch: If the binary is stripped on OSF/1 V3.2, it dumps
> core immediately.  A note about this in the Etc/MACHINES file
> would be nice.

Could you debug this a little bit more?  Please compile zsh with exactly
the same options as before, but add -g to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.  Then strip
the result, but also keep an unstripped version.  Enable core dumps and
start the stripped version.  When it dumps a core use

gdb zsh.unstripped core

to examine it.  Send me a backtrace.

You may also try to configue zsh with

./configure --enable-zsh-mem --enable-zsh-mem-warning --enable-zsh-mem-debug --enable-zsh-debug --enable-zsh-secure-free

And run it this way.  It may give some warnings.

Also you may check if zsh also coredumps if invoked with -f.  If not try to
locate the line in the startup files which causes the dump.  Try to
minimize the number of commands executed before this line.

Thanks,

Zoltan