zsh-workers
From: Wayne Davison <wayne@clari.net>
To: Zefram <A.Main@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
Cc: Zoltan Hidvegi <hzoli@cs.elte.hu>, zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: zsh-3.0-pre1 released
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:52:23 -0700	[thread overview]

Zefram writes:
> "depreciate" and "deprecate" are both valid English words.  They have
> completely different meanings, and the appropriate one here is
> "deprecate".

The words are different, but not "completely" different (in my dictionary
one of the definitions for deprecate says "To belittle; depreciate").

However, I have never heard of deprecate being used in the cited context,
while I have heard depreciate used many times in similar circumstances.
I believe that depreciate is the better choice.

It is interesting to note that the word deprecate was at one time much
stronger than depreciate (it meant to deplore not just to devalue), but
that common usage is moving it toward the meaning of depreciate.  Thus
either word is probably OK, but depreciate is more traditional.

..wayne..