zsh-workers
* Re: Z-Shell Frequently Asked Questions (monthly posting)
       [not found] <199607250812.KAA18570@sgi.ifh.de>
@ 1996-07-25 20:31 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-07-25 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh workers list

>   From 3.0-pre3, [[, { and } are reserved words, hence must be
>     separated from other characters by whitespace.  (This change may
>     be partially backed out since it breaks many scripts.)

I'm going to include this FAQ a little bit modified in pre4, patch included
below.  It is not likely that the old [[ ... ]] behaviour will ever be
restored because it conflicts with the POSIX character class patterns like
[[:alpha:]].

Zoltan

*** /tmp/FAQ	Thu Jul 25 22:22:34 1996
--- FAQ	Thu Jul 25 22:22:38 1996
***************
*** 204,210 ****
    completion.  This version is known to have a bug with pipelines
    inside other shell structures (now fixed in 2.6).

!   The release of zsh 3.0 is imminent; currently 3.0-pre3 is available.
    Major zsh sites are particularly encouraged to download this and
    report any bugs.  The new major number 3.0 largely reflects the
    considerable internal changes in zsh to make it more reliable,
--- 204,210 ----
    completion.  This version is known to have a bug with pipelines
    inside other shell structures (now fixed in 2.6).

!   The release of zsh 3.0 is imminent; currently 3.0-pre4 is available.
    Major zsh sites are particularly encouraged to download this and
    report any bugs.  The new major number 3.0 largely reflects the
    considerable internal changes in zsh to make it more reliable,
***************
*** 1127,1134 ****

    Changes since zsh 2.5:
    From 3.0-pre3, [[, { and } are reserved words, hence must be
!     separated from other characters by whitespace.  (This change may
!     be partially backed out since it breaks many scripts.)
    The option CSH_JUNKIE_PAREN has been removed:  csh-like code now
      always does what it looks like it does, so `if ( ... ) ...'
      executes the code in parentheses in a subshell.  To make this
--- 1127,1135 ----

    Changes since zsh 2.5:
    From 3.0-pre3, [[, { and } are reserved words, hence must be
!     separated from other characters by whitespace.  From 3.0-pre4
!     { and } work again without whitespace if the IGNORE_BRACES option
!     is not set.

@ 1996-07-25 21:14   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1996-07-25 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi, zsh-workers

On Jul 25, 10:31pm, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} Subject: Re: Z-Shell Frequently Asked Questions (monthly posting)
}
}     From 3.0-pre3, [[, { and } are reserved words, hence must be
} !     separated from other characters by whitespace.  From 3.0-pre4
} !     { and } work again without whitespace if the IGNORE_BRACES option
} !     is not set.

Er, but I thought you were also going to change it so that IGNORE_BRACES
is not set when zsh is invoked as ksh.  So does that mean you have to both
emulate ksh and additionally set IGNORE_BRACES to get the POSIX treatment?

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer:

       [not found] <199701241329.OAA04769@hydra.ifh.de>
@ 1997-01-26 11:50 ` gwing
From: gwing @ 1997-01-26 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson wrote:
[... stuff deleted ...]
:C4) How do I automatically display the directory in my xterm title bar?
[... stuff deleted ...]
:  Change `%~' if you want the message to be different.  (The `-P'
:  option to print causes this to be interpreted as the current
:  directory.)  Note that when the xterm starts up you will probably

The description of the -P option needs to be fixed.  -P to print causes
escape sequences to be interpreted the same way as they are for prompts.
--
Geoff Wing [gwing@primenet.com.au]   Technical Manager
  Phone    : +61-3-9818 2977	     PrimeNet - Internet Consultancy

@ 1996-07-25 15:42 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1996-07-25 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson, zsh-workers

On Jul 25, 10:12am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} A4) What's the latest version?
}
}   The release of zsh 3.0 is imminent; currently 3.0-pre3 is available.
}
}   Note that even numbered minor versions are not released.

Um, 3.0 is an even-numbered minor version.  Are we revising this policy?

} B2) Similarities with csh
}
}     Alternative syntax `if ( ... ) ...' (also `for', `which'; this now
}       requires the CSH_JUNKIE_PAREN option).

True only for 2.5.xx and some 2.6.xx.  CSH_JUNKIE_PAREN is gone again in
3.0, as you mentioned later.  However, you should probably point out that
`if ( ... ) ...' doesn't work like csh, it just looks like csh.  One still
has to replace the ( ) with [[ ]] in most csh-conversion cases.