zsh-workers
* 4.0.8 stills thinks Linux hasn't /dev/ptmx
@ 2003-12-18 12:36 DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2003-12-18 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

    Hi all :)

    I've downloaded Zsh 4.0.8 and in Src/Modules/zpty.c, /dev/ptmx is
only used if one of __SVR4, sinix or __CYGWIN__ is defined. Under
Linux none of these is defined, but Linux supports PTY multiplexor
since (AFAIK) kernel 2.2. IMHO, since under Linux you can choose
between classic PTY support (/dev/pty??) or PTY multiplexor, the
appropriate thing here should be using configure.

    Anyway I gave more details and a workarount in zsh-workers 19196,
using GLIBC defines for seeing if the system supports ptmx. So, no
configure needed (by now)...

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

* Re: 4.0.8 stills thinks Linux hasn't /dev/ptmx
@ 2003-12-18 17:52 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-12-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

DervishD wrote:
>     I've downloaded Zsh 4.0.8 and in Src/Modules/zpty.c, /dev/ptmx is
> only used if one of __SVR4, sinix or __CYGWIN__ is defined.

This isn't something we'd fix on 4.0.8, anyway, which is now being
declared dead.  (At least, if 4.0.8 compiles; I'm on holiday after
tomorrow, so it would be a good idea to tell me before.)

It's certainly a possibility for 4.1.  It will required testing for
grantpt, unlockpt and ptsname, which seem to be present but undocumented
(anywhere that I can see), thought chances are they're basically
POSIX-compatible.  So ideally it should be done by someone who knows
what they're doing.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: 4.0.8 stills thinks Linux hasn't /dev/ptmx
@ 2003-12-18 20:59   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2003-12-18 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Workers

    Hi Peter :)

 * Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com> dixit:
> >     I've downloaded Zsh 4.0.8 and in Src/Modules/zpty.c, /dev/ptmx is
> > only used if one of __SVR4, sinix or __CYGWIN__ is defined.
> This isn't something we'd fix on 4.0.8, anyway, which is now being
> declared dead.  (At least, if 4.0.8 compiles; I'm on holiday after
> tomorrow, so it would be a good idea to tell me before.)

    OK, don't worry because this is not urgent, at least I have the
old mechanism working on Linux (on any Linux, I suppose). This
definitely can wait.

    I haven't build 4.0.8 yet, so I cannot tell if it builds, but
certainly this problem didn't prevent it from building in the past,
so no reason for failing exist now, neither.

> It's certainly a possibility for 4.1.  It will required testing for
> grantpt, unlockpt and ptsname, which seem to be present but undocumented
> (anywhere that I can see), thought chances are they're basically
> POSIX-compatible.  So ideally it should be done by someone who knows
> what they're doing.

    I'm not able to write the autoconf recipes, sorry, and I'm not an
ptmx expert O:), but if I can lend a hand, just tell me.

    Happy holidays :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

* Who Maintains the WindowsNT Version of ZSH
@ 2003-12-18 21:28   ` Jacob Alifrangis (Lists)
From: Jacob Alifrangis (Lists) @ 2003-12-18 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Zsh Workers'

[Jacob Alifrangis] I'm Trying to find out if Amol still works on it, does
anyone know how to get in touch with him or the person/people working on it?
[Jacob Alifrangis]
Thanks. -J