zsh-workers
* zsh bug?
@ 2004-10-30 15:39 possibilitybox
From: possibilitybox @ 2004-10-30 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I was using zsh in screen, in an aterm (in x, obviously.), and
suddenly I lost tab-completion ability and the ability to run any
command except built-ins.  When I tried to log back in I received an
error about not being able to cd to my home directory, I may still
have these errors in an irc log.  Root could still log in, and once
logged in as root (using the same shell) i could not su to my user; I
received an error about not having permissions to execute /bin/zsh.
Re-installing zsh from the slackware package fixed all my problems,
but I figured that this error should be reported.  (and I'm interested
myself to know how that happened.)

* Re: zsh bug?
@ 2004-10-30 21:42 ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2004-10-30 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: possibilitybox; +Cc: zsh-workers

In the last episode (Oct 30), possibilitybox said:
> I was using zsh in screen, in an aterm (in x, obviously.), and
> suddenly I lost tab-completion ability and the ability to run any
> command except built-ins.  When I tried to log back in I received an
> error about not being able to cd to my home directory, I may still
> have these errors in an irc log.  Root could still log in, and once
> logged in as root (using the same shell) i could not su to my user; I
> received an error about not having permissions to execute /bin/zsh.
> Re-installing zsh from the slackware package fixed all my problems,
> but I figured that this error should be reported.  (and I'm
> interested myself to know how that happened.)

Did you at some point remove read or execute access to /?  That's the
only way I can think of that would have denied access to all
executables and your home directory at once.  I can't imagine how zsh
could be responsible.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* zsh bug?
@ 1997-11-21  8:59 Michael Vanier
From: Michael Vanier @ 1997-11-21  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi all,

I've just started using zsh and I can't seem to get it not to report when I
receive mail.  I've tried doing "unsetopt mailwarning" but that seems to
have no effect.  This is on a Solaris 2.3 system.  I suppose I could set
the MAILCHECK variable to some absurdly high level, but that's just a
kludge.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Vanier	mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu
Computational neuroscientist, hacker, musician, actor, skydiver, cat lover
Department of Computation and Neural Systems, Caltech 216-76
Beckman Behavioral Biology building, rm. 322
Home phone: (626) 568-9383; work phone: (626) 395-6626; FAX: (626) 795-2088
Home address: 1028 E. Del Mar Blvd., apt. 301, Pasadena, California 91106
Home page: http://www.bbb.caltech.edu/USERS/mvanier

                      minutes spent skydiving
 Quality of Life = -----------------------------
                          minutes lived

"Once in a while you get shown the light,
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
	   -- Grateful Dead

* Re: zsh bug?
@ 1996-08-15 19:02 ` Tom Kaczmarski
From: Tom Kaczmarski @ 1996-08-15 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Panic not!

I just found out that it is a simple bug in ping.  There are patches
available for it.

Tom

                                           ?
                                         ''~``
                                        ( o o )
+----------------------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.------------------------+

   mailto:tkaczma@luc.edu
                           http://orion.it.luc.edu/~tkaczma
                                     .oooO                  (312) 512-7302
                                     (   )   Oooo.
+-------------------------------------\ (----(   )--------------------------+
                                       \_)    ) /
                                             (_/

* Re: zsh bug?
@ 1996-08-15 18:57 Brian Dockter
From: Brian Dockter @ 1996-08-15 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Kaczmarski; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Aug 15,  1:10pm, Tom Kaczmarski wrote:
> Subject: zsh bug?
> When I run the following command:
>
> ping -s www.americanexpress.com
>
> the child zsh dumps core and reports a fragmentation error.
>
> To my knowledge, this only happens with this particular address.
>
> This happens on both Solaris 2.5i SPARC version, and SunOS 4.1.3_U1.  I also
> tried to replicate this error on an AIX box, but ping takes a little
> different flags.  I wish I had access to another OS to verify that
> behavior.  Could someone try it on a different OS like Irix, OSF, HP-UX,
> BSD, and Linux?

I tried it on an OSF box. The error I got was:

        ping: illegal packet size

When I try in using ZSH 2.6-beta16 on SunOS 4.1.3 (not _U1), I only get:

        zsh: segmentation fault  ping -s www.americanexpress.com

Brian

--
Brian Dockter   (KC7JZL)         | Email: brian@nds.com
Sr. Software Engineer            | Voice: 206-524-0014

* Re: zsh bug?
@ 1996-08-15 18:35 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-08-15 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Kaczmarski; +Cc: zsh-workers

> When I run the following command:
>
> ping -s www.americanexpress.com
>
> the child zsh dumps core and reports a fragmentation error.
>
> To my knowledge, this only happens with this particular address.
>
> This happens on both Solaris 2.5i SPARC version, and SunOS 4.1.3_U1.  I also
> tried to replicate this error on an AIX box, but ping takes a little
> different flags.  I wish I had access to another OS to verify that
> behavior.  Could someone try it on a different OS like Irix, OSF, HP-UX,
> BSD, and Linux?

This is not a zsh bug.  ping dumps core,  and zsh prints:

zsh: 336 segmentation fault (core dumped)  /usr/sbin/ping -s www.americanexpress.com

The zsh: means that it was zsh which printed the message but at the end of the
message you can see what caused the coredump.

Of course Linux ping works fine.  It's time to upgrade to SparcLinux :-).

Zoltan

* zsh bug?
@ 1996-08-15 18:10 Tom Kaczmarski