zsh-workers
* ZLE Unicode support status
@ 2005-06-10 20:07 Alexey Tourbin
From: Alexey Tourbin @ 2005-06-10 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello,

I have just tried to build unicode-enabled zsh (recent cvs snapshot,
by simply adding -DZLE_UNICODE_SUPPORT=1 to CFLAGS), and I get the
following problem (zsh running under gdb running under GNU screen):

[test@solemn test]$ LC_ALL=C gdb zsh
(gdb) r
Starting program: /bin/zsh
test@solemn ~ $ echo $ZSH_V<TAB><TAB>
BUG: substring ends in the middle of a metachar in ztrsub()
BUG: substring ends in the middle of a metachar in ztrsub()
BUG: substring ends in the middle of a metachar in ztrsub()
BUG: 0 <= wb <= zlecs <= we is not true!
BUG: substring ends in the middle of a metachar in ztrsub()
0x400e8f8c in memcpy () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0x400e8f8c in memcpy () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#1  0x402358f6 in do_ambiguous () at compresult.c:768
#2  0x6f686c00 in ?? ()
(gdb)

So... what is the status of Unicode support?
Is it supposed to work with plain POSIX locale?

* Re: ZLE Unicode support status
@ 2005-06-10 20:32 ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2005-06-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> So... what is the status of Unicode support?

It is incomplete.  I think that Peter and I keep running into brick
walls.

* Re: ZLE Unicode support status
@ 2005-06-12 11:59   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-06-12 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Clint Adams wrote:
> > So... what is the status of Unicode support?
>
> It is incomplete.  I think that Peter and I keep running into brick
> walls.

Pretty much...

I would hope we could get the base Zle support sorted out sometime over
the next few months.  I remember Bart posted a list of warnings this
generated which I've never got around to looking at.  I haven't done
much work because I've had other things to do (wait for my
autobiography, although it's going to be a long wait :-))

Completion, unfortunately, is going to be horrendous and hard to do step
by step.  I think the best thing to do is to use the current
metafy/unmetafy points to turn the command line into a metafied
multibyte string and take it from there.  It's still a bit flakey with
regard to Meta characters; if the support for that were more solid we
would at least have some idea of the points where it needed to handle
multibyte characters.  So if anyone is aware of any more problems with
the existing (non-Unicode) support with 8-bit characters it would be
useful to hear.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Work: pws@csr.com

* Re: ZLE Unicode support status
@ 2005-06-16 17:00     ` David Gómez
From: David Gómez @ 2005-06-16 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

Hi Peter ;),

On Jun 12 at 12:59:04, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Completion, unfortunately, is going to be horrendous and hard to do step
> by step.  I think the best thing to do is to use the current
> metafy/unmetafy points to turn the command line into a metafied
> multibyte string and take it from there.

Oops, i should've read this before posting my message... ;)

> multibyte characters.  So if anyone is aware of any more problems with
> the existing (non-Unicode) support with 8-bit characters it would be
> useful to hear.

In only have problems with completion, most of the times i hit tab i
got a segmentation fault. But Zle seems to work well...

regards,

--
David Gómez                                      Jabber ID: davidge@jabber.org

* Re: ZLE Unicode support status