zsh-workers
* Mailing list archive suggestion
@ 2006-09-18 15:08 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-09-18 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Geoff, are you out there?

Would it be possible for the search interface (wilma_glimpse) on the zsh
mailing list archives to default to display results in most-recent-first
order, rather than least-recent-first?  Its becoming increasingly useless
to search the archives without restricting the search to the current year,
because the limit on number of matches is usually reached before making
it out of the 1990's.

* Re: Mailing list archive suggestion
@ 2006-09-19  1:54 ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2006-09-19  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Hackers

On Tuesday 2006-09-19 01:09 +1000, Bart Schaefer output:
:Would it be possible for the search interface (wilma_glimpse) on the zsh
:mailing list archives to default to display results in most-recent-first
:order, rather than least-recent-first?

Not easily that I can tell.  I've set the indexing to be sorted by date
with most recent first and it's sort of doing it now but because of
the way mhonarc updates previous files with references, etc. some files
may appear out of order.  I'm also using an older version of glimpse
which doesn't do incremental indexing properly so it's rebuilding every
time - thus the out of order problem.  Hopefully it'll be more useful
than the previous way.

Regards,
Geoff

* Re: Mailing list archive suggestion
@ 2006-09-20  5:06   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-09-20  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Wing, Zsh Hackers

On Sep 19, 11:54am, Geoff Wing wrote:
}
} :Would it be possible for the search interface (wilma_glimpse) on
} :the zsh mailing list archives to default to display results in
} :most-recent-first order, rather than least-recent-first?
}
} Not easily that I can tell.  I've set the indexing to be sorted by date
} with most recent first and it's sort of doing it now

Hmm, thanks for trying this, Geoff, but I really want only the search
results in reverse date order, not the default index display.

} but because of the way mhonarc updates previous files with references,
} etc. some files may appear out of order.

Given that, I find it's unfortunately a bit too confusing to use in the
browsing mode.  The way it was before was better.  My apologies.

* Re: Mailing list archive suggestion
@ 2006-09-20  8:09     ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2006-09-20  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer, Zsh Hackers

On Tuesday 2006-09-19 22:06 -0700, Bart Schaefer output:
:On Sep 19, 11:54am, Geoff Wing wrote:
:} Not easily that I can tell.  I've set the indexing to be sorted by date
:} with most recent first and it's sort of doing it now
:Hmm, thanks for trying this, Geoff, but I really want only the search
:results in reverse date order, not the default index display.

I meant the glimpse database index (which is the order in which results are
displayed).  The mhonarc HTML index pages should be the same.

:} but because of the way mhonarc updates previous files with references,
:} etc. some files may appear out of order.
:Given that, I find it's unfortunately a bit too confusing to use in the
:browsing mode.  The way it was before was better.  My apologies.

I have (|pretended to have) been clever and have come up with a different
approach.  A quick test indicates it's OK.  See if it's working as expected.

Regards,
Geoff