zsh-workers
* Is anyone able to take on zsh 4.2?
@ 2006-11-02 16:37 Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-11-02 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Porting patches to the 4.2 branch of zsh has been rather lax since I've
been spending most of my spare time fighting with the fallout from
multibyte character support on 4.3.  (I'm currently making heavy weather
of improving the completion quoting code.)  However, there are all sorts
of things that could probably be ported, as my last patch reminded me.

Does anyone have time to do this?  It wouldn't need detailed familiarity
with the source, just looking at patches that are recorded in the main
ChangeLog to see if they are bug fixes that would apply to the 4.2
branch.  Producing a list which we could examine would be a start, but
the time consuming part is copying them over.  This should be mechanical
(if it isn't we probably don't want to transfer the fix anyway).

You'd need a SourceForge account (this is easy) and developer access to
the zsh archive (I can do this), plus some familiarity with CVS and
zsh capabilities (anyone on this list probably fits both those
categories).

* Re: Is anyone able to take on zsh 4.2?
@ 2006-11-04 18:13 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2006-11-04 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Nov 2,  4:37pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} Porting patches to the 4.2 branch of zsh has been rather lax [...]
}
} Does anyone have time to do this?

Ordinarily I'd volunteer to do this, but circumstances have conspired
to limit my available time.  I might have a chance to do some catch-
up over the Thanksgiving holiday in a few weeks, but I don't want to
make promises I might not keep.

* Re: Is anyone able to take on zsh 4.2?
@ 2006-11-16  3:00 ` arno.
From: arno. @ 2006-11-16  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Le Thursday 02 November 2006, à 16:37:53PM +0000, Peter a écrit :
> Porting patches to the 4.2 branch of zsh has been rather lax since I've
> been spending most of my spare time fighting with the fallout from
> multibyte character support on 4.3.  (I'm currently making heavy weather
> of improving the completion quoting code.)  However, there are all sorts
> of things that could probably be ported, as my last patch reminded me.
>
> Does anyone have time to do this?  It wouldn't need detailed familiarity
> with the source, just looking at patches that are recorded in the main
> ChangeLog to see if they are bug fixes that would apply to the 4.2
> branch.  Producing a list which we could examine would be a start, but
> the time consuming part is copying them over.  This should be mechanical
> (if it isn't we probably don't want to transfer the fix anyway).
>
> You'd need a SourceForge account (this is easy) and developer access to
> the zsh archive (I can do this), plus some familiarity with CVS and
> zsh capabilities (anyone on this list probably fits both those
> categories).

Hi,
is that work still needed ?
I have free time in the next few days, and I'll be happy to spend it
helping zsh. I don't feel really confident in my knowledge of zsh, and
of zsh release process, but as you claim anyone on the list could help,
I still offer to spend some time for that :)

I don't known if I have the time and/or capacity to do port all the
patches (furthermore, I have no idea what amount of work it is), but
tell me if even part of that work would be useful.

In case my help is accepted, it would be nice if I am explained the
whole procedure in details, and if someone checks (at least in the
beginning), that I don't do too many mistakes.

arno.

* Re: Is anyone able to take on zsh 4.2?
@ 2006-11-16 10:33   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-11-16 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

"arno." <arno.@no-log.org> wrote:
> > Porting patches to the 4.2 branch of zsh has been rather lax since I've
> > been spending most of my spare time fighting with the fallout from
> > multibyte character support on 4.3.  (I'm currently making heavy weather
> > of improving the completion quoting code.)  However, there are all sorts
> > of things that could probably be ported, as my last patch reminded me.
> >
> > Does anyone have time to do this?#
>
> Hi,
> is that work still needed ?
> I have free time in the next few days, and I'll be happy to spend it
> helping zsh. I don't feel really confident in my knowledge of zsh, and
> of zsh release process, but as you claim anyone on the list could help,
> I still offer to spend some time for that :)

Thanks, actually Paul Ackersviller kindly volunteered to have a look at
this.  I realise, however, most people round here are rather busy (and
it's grown to be quite a big job), so we might have to end up doing it
piecemeal.