zsh-workers
* garbage input crashes zsh
@ 2006-12-12 20:32 Danek Duvall
From: Danek Duvall @ 2006-12-12 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

This is with 4.2.5 on both Solaris and Linux (and I've reproduced with
4.3.2 on Linux).  Someone at Sun filed this bug; I don't know how much
y'all care.

    zsh -f < test_8

where test_8 is the attached file.  I've got a couple more such files, all
of which leave a core file with the same stack trace, FWIW.

Danek

[-- Attachment #2: test_8 --]

* Re: garbage input crashes zsh
@ 2006-12-13 10:44 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-12-13 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Danek Duvall wrote:
> This is with 4.2.5 on both Solaris and Linux (and I've reproduced with
> 4.3.2 on Linux).  Someone at Sun filed this bug; I don't know how much
> y'all care.

Thanks, this is always useful to know.

>     zsh -f < test_8
>
> where test_8 is the attached file.  I've got a couple more such files, all
> of which leave a core file with the same stack trace, FWIW.

It seems to be OK with the latest version (lots of errors, of course,
but no damage), but I can get the crash with the tip of the 4.2 branch.
It seems to be doing something wayward in (what looks to it like) a
complicated pattern match.  If I get a chance I'll try to work out what
fixed it, but it could be complicated since the pattern code has changed
quite a lot owing to adding multibyte support.  It's quite possibly a
simple error to do with metafication; a number of those turned up along
the way.

* Re: garbage input crashes zsh
@ 2006-12-13 18:24   ` Danek Duvall
From: Danek Duvall @ 2006-12-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> It seems to be OK with the latest version (lots of errors, of course,
> but no damage), but I can get the crash with the tip of the 4.2 branch.
> It seems to be doing something wayward in (what looks to it like) a
> complicated pattern match.  If I get a chance I'll try to work out what
> fixed it, but it could be complicated since the pattern code has changed
> quite a lot owing to adding multibyte support.  It's quite possibly a
> simple error to do with metafication; a number of those turned up along
> the way.

Okay.  If it's fixed in the tip of 4.3, that's probably good enough (I
didn't realize 4.3.2 was that out of date), so if you can't track it down
easily, don't lose any sleep over it.

Most of the non-Sun software in Solaris gets bugfixed by upgrade, and
that's probably sufficient for this case (though I'm still hesitant to
upgrade to 4.3 given all the multibyte change that -- IIRC -- isn't
complete yet, even if any portion of the shell which was converted is
done).

Thanks,
Danek

* Re: garbage input crashes zsh
@ 2006-12-13 18:28     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2006-12-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Danek Duvall wrote:
> Most of the non-Sun software in Solaris gets bugfixed by upgrade, and
> that's probably sufficient for this case (though I'm still hesitant to
> upgrade to 4.3 given all the multibyte change that -- IIRC -- isn't
> complete yet, even if any portion of the shell which was converted is
> done).

I'm hoping 4.3.3 will be fairly feature-complete, which is why I'm
waiting.  There doesn't seem to be a good reason for a real release
while the fiddly little changes ramble on.

* Re: garbage input crashes zsh
@ 2006-12-13 18:31       ` Danek Duvall
From: Danek Duvall @ 2006-12-13 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> I'm hoping 4.3.3 will be fairly feature-complete, which is why I'm
> waiting.  There doesn't seem to be a good reason for a real release
> while the fiddly little changes ramble on.

Okay, cool.

Thanks,
Danek