zsh-workers
* Crashing shell on 5.0.2 OSX, logs attached
@ 2013-05-07 18:28 Julian Berman
From: Julian Berman @ 2013-05-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi.

I've been experiencing some crashes recently and was advised to post here
from #zsh.

Logs are attached, more information if there's something specific I can
provide.

Basically the crashes happen deterministically if I run

git commit -m "
multiline
commit"<CR>

in a certain git repo (but not for a different set of indexed changes?, if
I commit from within a bash subprocess and then make some more changes I
get no crash even if I make a multiline commit, same if I commit in another
repo).

I also get crashes if I run `workon stuf<tab>` (workon being from
virtualenvwrapper). I didn't look to carefully at the logs to see whether
these are likely to be two separate issues but the ones from today are from
running the latter command.

I'm on OSX (Mountain Lion) and zsh --version is:

zsh 5.0.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0)

Can't think of any major changes I've made to my system recently. First
started noticing the crashes this week.

Installed plugins and my zshrc can be found here if that's helpful

https://github.com/Julian/dotfiles/blob/master/.config/zsh/.zshrc

Cheers,

Julian

[-- Attachment #2: zsh-crash-logs.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 33484 bytes --]

* Re: Crashing shell on 5.0.2 OSX, logs attached
@ 2013-05-07 21:22 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2013-05-07 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Berman; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

These both appear to be memory-management related, but otherwise
aren't connected, so both are probably a symptom of an actual bug
that's elsewhere.  I strongly suspect something that is triggered by
syntax highlighting, either via _fuzzy-match-accept-line or from
somewhere inside zsh-syntax-highlighting.  Try removing one or both of
those from your .zshrc and see if you can still reproduce the problem.

* Re: Crashing shell on 5.0.2 OSX, logs attached
@ 2013-05-07 21:55   ` Julian Berman
From: Julian Berman @ 2013-05-07 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

Looks like you're right, disabling syntax-highlighting did it, guess I
should have tried that considering syntax highlighter's warnings, though
I've used it since around when it came out and haven't really experienced
anything interesting until now.

Thanks for the pointer.

Julian

@ 2013-05-07 23:46     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2013-05-07 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Berman; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Julian Berman <julian@grayvines.com> wrote:
> Looks like you're right, disabling syntax-highlighting did it, guess I
> should have tried that considering syntax highlighter's warnings

So now what we need is for someone to run valgrind or something like
it with zsh-syntax-highlighting loaded, so we can track down what must
be either a buffer overrun or a bad free somewhere in the
region-highlight code.

* Re: Crashing shell on 5.0.2 OSX, logs attached
@ 2013-05-08 20:12       ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2013-05-08 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Tue, 7 May 2013 16:46:16 -0700
Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Julian Berman <julian@grayvines.com> wrote:
> > Looks like you're right, disabling syntax-highlighting did it, guess I
> > should have tried that considering syntax highlighter's warnings
>
> So now what we need is for someone to run valgrind or something like
> it with zsh-syntax-highlighting loaded, so we can track down what must
> be either a buffer overrun or a bad free somewhere in the
> region-highlight code.

Something like

valgrind --leak-check=full --malloc-fill=0xff --child-silent-after-fork=yes zsh

probably gives your best bet in that case.  The error doesn't seem obvious.

--
Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>