zsh-workers
* Re: zsh.org should redirect to www.zsh.org
@ 2014-03-15 13:05 Zefram
From: Zefram @ 2014-03-15 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: schaefer, mason

Bart Schaefer wrote:
>Speaking of this, kind of -- the zsh.org domain registration expires in
>April of this year.  Currently registered to Andrew Main AKA Zefram,
>from whom we haven't heard in years.

I haven't followed zsh-workers in years, but a friend pointed me at
this message.

I'm aware of the impending need for renewal.  I'm intending to sort
that out, but it's not just a matter of renewing: I need to establish
new arrangements with some domain registrar.  I fell out with netwiz.net
because they started spamming, and the registrar that I'd really like to
use instead (gandi.net) turned out to be unable to talk to my credit card.
This is, if anything, actually more difficult than when I originally
registered zsh.org, back when there was only one registrar and I had to
pay with a counter cheque in foreign currency by snail mail.

I'd be happy to hand over domain admin status to Geoff, or to some other
representative of the Zsh Development Group.  It would be more sensible
for the admin to be someone more directly involved in the operations
taking place under the domain.  Also more sensible for it to be someone
who works with DNS routinely (which I don't any more) and so maintains
good relations with a registrar.

-zefram

* Re: zsh.org should redirect to www.zsh.org
@ 2014-03-15 17:34 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-03-15 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram, zsh-workers; +Cc: mason

On Mar 15,  1:05pm, Zefram wrote:
}
} I'd be happy to hand over domain admin status to Geoff, or to some other
} representative of the Zsh Development Group.  It would be more sensible
} for the admin to be someone more directly involved in the operations
} taking place under the domain.  Also more sensible for it to be someone
} who works with DNS routinely (which I don't any more) and so maintains
} good relations with a registrar.

I have several domains registered through DreamHost and would be willing
to pick this up if necessary.  Registrars aren't the same kind of entity
that they used to be, everything is automated and it's mostly a matter
of choosing one that offers a good combination of pricing and customer
service.

--
Barton E. Schaefer

* Re: zsh.org should redirect to www.zsh.org
@ 2014-03-15 20:32   ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2014-03-15 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zefram, zsh-workers, mason

On 2014-03-15 at 10:34 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Mar 15,  1:05pm, Zefram wrote:
> }
> } I'd be happy to hand over domain admin status to Geoff, or to some other
> } representative of the Zsh Development Group.  It would be more sensible
> } for the admin to be someone more directly involved in the operations
> } taking place under the domain.  Also more sensible for it to be someone
> } who works with DNS routinely (which I don't any more) and so maintains
> } good relations with a registrar.
>
> I have several domains registered through DreamHost and would be willing
> to pick this up if necessary.  Registrars aren't the same kind of entity
> that they used to be, everything is automated and it's mostly a matter
> of choosing one that offers a good combination of pricing and customer
> service.

If we switch away from Andrew managing this, we probably lose
ns.fysh.org as a DNS host too.

I can help out, primary or secondary.  nlns.globnix.net is in NL,
I can sort out secondaring with friends on US west coast and in the UK.

If Andrew wants to try again: I've had good luck with joker.com, based
in CH, taking multiple currencies and handling DNSSEC records and IPv6
glue records fine, with decent customer service back before those
statements were true (they added the items in manually and then fixed
their systems to support them properly).

As an alternative approach: for very simple DNS needs, exim.org is
currently using LuaDNS; there are some issues there from a DNS purity
standpoint, but it works well enough to have a DNS git repo on GitHub
which multiple people can commit to, and commits to master automatically
trigger LuaDNS to update the zone.  Reducing the bus-factor is nice.

-Phil

* Re: zsh.org should redirect to www.zsh.org
@ 2014-03-15 21:08     ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 2014-03-15 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Bart Schaefer, mason

Phil Pennock wrote:
>If we switch away from Andrew managing this, we probably lose
>ns.fysh.org as a DNS host too.

No, that's a distinct matter.  Changing the admin contact is no reason
to change the NS arrangements, and the reasons for changing the former
apply much more weakly to the latter.

-zefram

* Changing .org domain registrar vs keeping current NS records (was: Re: zsh.org should redirect to www.zsh.org)
@ 2014-03-18 17:17       ` Axel Beckert
From: Axel Beckert @ 2014-03-18 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 09:08:29PM +0000, Zefram wrote:
> Phil Pennock wrote:
> >If we switch away from Andrew managing this, we probably lose
> >ns.fysh.org as a DNS host too.
>
> No, that's a distinct matter.  Changing the admin contact is no reason
> to change the NS arrangements, and the reasons for changing the former
> apply much more weakly to the latter.

But changing the registrar may indeed pull in a change of NS records,
because there's a questionable rule for .org domains that if the NS
records end in .org, too, their second-level domains needs to be
registered at the same registrar as the domain they're responsible
for,

I own two .org domains and they're registered at different registrars
as I wanted to avoid a single point of failure in my private
infrastructure (burned child, etc.).

I coped with that rule by adding additional DNS A records for my name
servers with a non-.org domain (a .ch domain in my case) and everthing
was fine again. PTR records seem to be irrelevant for the above
mentioned rule.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)

* Re: zsh.org should redirect to www.zsh.org
       [not found] <1394856135.82050.YahooMailNeo@web194605.mail.sg3.yahoo.com>
@ 2014-03-15  5:04 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-03-15  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

[>workers]

Speaking of this, kind of -- the zsh.org domain registration expires in
April of this year.  Currently registered to Andrew Main AKA Zefram,
from whom we haven't heard in years.  Technical contact is Geoff Wing,
who I know is still reading this list at least some of the time.

Zefram, if you are still reading this list, please let us know what we
should do to renew the registration.  Or Geoff, if you know, speak up!