zsh-workers
* Properties of special hashes in zsh/parameter module
@ 2015-09-26 22:29 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2015-09-26 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Some of the special parameters in zsh/parameter are referenced as read-only
hashes.  The normal properties of assocative arrays imply that if you refer
to all the values in one of these hashes, e.g. ${history[*]}, that they may
be returned in any order.

In practice these special hashes don't use a hash table implementation and
the order of values is guaranteed to be fixed, and in the case of $history
are guaranteed to be in the same order as $(history -rn 1).

Should we document this and make it a reliable condition for scripting?  Or
do we prefer to keep open the option of implementing atop an unordered hash
at some point in the future?

* Re: Properties of special hashes in zsh/parameter module
@ 2015-09-28  8:30 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2015-09-28  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:29:21 -0700
Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> Should we document this and make it a reliable condition for scripting?  Or
> do we prefer to keep open the option of implementing atop an unordered hash
> at some point in the future?

I can't really see why this would ever change.

pws