zsh-workers
* Bug related to order of zsh completion options?
@ 2017-09-14 12:46 ryan
From: ryan @ 2017-09-14 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi zsh-workers,

I found the solution for something which has been plaguing me for about
half a day, and I think it is a bug.

I can sum it up in this file:

----------- file "_brokencompletion" begins ------------

#compdef brokencompletion

# first two versions work
#_arguments '1:a:(( a_b_c\:"aabbcc" a_z\:"aaazzz" ))'
#_arguments '1:a:( a_z a_b_c )'

# this version doesn't
#_arguments '1:a:(( a_z\:"aaazzz" a_b_c\:"aabbcc" ))'

----------- file "_brokencompletion" ends ------------

All of my tests can be repeated with a clean zsh shell:

% zsh -f
  (new shell starts)
% autoload compinit
% fpath=(~/path/containing/_brokencompletion/ $fpath)
% compinit

When I use the one of the first two versions of _arguments in the file
above, I see exactly the completion that I expect to see.

When I use the third version of _arguments, I see the following:

    I type: brokencompletion <tab>
    I get:  brokencompletion a_
                             ^ but my cursor is on the "a"

If I change the order of possible matches in the parenthesis, it fixes
the problem (first version of _arguments line).  Also if I use the
version which does not have descriptions for each command, I get normal
behavior.

Is this a bug or is this documented somewhere, and I just missed a
specification?

Thanks,

Ryan

* Re: Bug related to order of zsh completion options?
       [not found] <E1dsTih-0000Vx-Fj@kiddle.eu>
@ 2017-09-14 15:12 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2017-09-14 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ryan; +Cc: zsh-workers

ryan@splintermail.com wrote:
> # this version doesn't
> #_arguments '1:a:(( a_z\:"aaazzz" a_b_c\:"aabbcc" ))'

>     I get:  brokencompletion a_
>                              ^ but my cursor is on the "a"

> Is this a bug or is this documented somewhere, and I just missed a
> specification?

It looks like a bug to me. Seems to have been introduced sometime
between 3.1.7 and 4.0.1 so it is old but not in the original matching
control code. The mimimum to reproduce it is just
  compadd -M 'r:|_=* r:|=*' a_z a_b_c
or even:
  compctl -M 'r:|_=* r:|=*' -s 'a_z a_b_c' cmd

Oliver

.