zsh-workers
* Plans for zle_highlighting?
@ 2008-12-17 22:53 Richard Hartmann
From: Richard Hartmann @ 2008-12-17 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

Hi all,

what are the plans for zle_highlighting? Will it be extended into
supporting fully-fledged syntax highlighting[1]? Having the same colours
in Vim and ZSH would be awesome :)

Also, I think it would help to spur completion code development if there
was a highlighting context that matches everything the completion system
expects/does not expect to be there. Sprinkle some spelling correction
on top (think ls -colour or mplayer -force-idx; both very 'easy' typos
to make) and you have yet another feature at which ZSH excels.

Richard

PS: Yes, I remember the thread about accessing what the completion
system thinks should be put at the current position of the cursor. That
would very likely need to be addressed first.

[1] http://fishshell.org/screenshots.html

* Re: Plans for zle_highlighting?
@ 2008-12-18  2:09 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-12-18  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

On Dec 17, 11:53pm, Richard Hartmann wrote:
}
} what are the plans for zle_highlighting? Will it be extended into
} supporting fully-fledged syntax highlighting[1]? Having the same colours
} in Vim and ZSH would be awesome :)

PWS can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know there are no plans
at this point for highlighting.  If you have some volunteers to do the
work rather than just make suggestions, please get 'em off of IRC and
onto the mailing list.

Used to be we had a crew of university/grad students contributing piles
of code, but they've all moved on (in many cases leaving behind a lot of
bits that it took years for anyone else to understand how to work with).

* Re: Plans for zle_highlighting?
@ 2008-12-18  9:55   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2008-12-18  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Dec 17, 11:53pm, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> }
> } what are the plans for zle_highlighting? Will it be extended into
> } supporting fully-fledged syntax highlighting[1]? Having the same colours
> } in Vim and ZSH would be awesome :)
>
> PWS can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know there are no plans
> at this point for highlighting.

Nothing firm, no.  There are various steps along the way, including
making highlighting dynamic, i.e. updating automatically when you insert
or delete characters.  Strict syntax highlighting (i.e. it really gets
parsed by the shell) probably is never going to happen, but some
approximate form (it gets split into words and examined by a shell
script) isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.  This isn't a very high
priority.

Anything requiring enhancements to the completion system is likely to
have to wait even longer.

This is all entirely for the practical reasons Bart mentioned.

* Re: Plans for zle_highlighting?
@ 2008-12-20 15:17   ` Richard Hartmann
From: Richard Hartmann @ 2008-12-20 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Workers

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 03:09, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:

> PWS can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know there are no plans
> at this point for highlighting.  If you have some volunteers to do the
> work rather than just make suggestions, please get 'em off of IRC and
> onto the mailing list.

If my C was not as crappy/non-existant as it is, I would try to help, myself.
As it is, I am restricted to some shell scripting and the occasional
completion contribution.
Please don't think I don't appreciate the amount of work some very
few people put into ZSH!

Richard

From: Richard Hartmann @ 2008-12-20 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Workers

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:55, Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com> wrote:

> This is all entirely for the practical reasons Bart mentioned.

Thanks for the clarification :)

RIchard