zsh-workers
* zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-27  2:27 Richard Hartmann
From: Richard Hartmann @ 2008-12-27  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

Hi all,

I know that several people maintain their ZSH sources with
git, not CVS. While the script I adopted from Frank Terbeck's
rsync-cvs-then-git-cvsimport script works just fine (and fast!),
I would personally prefer a main git repo to pull from. I am
aware that a decentralized VCS like git does not need any
such thing, but I still prefer pulling from the official place,
directly.

So, does anything like this exist, already? If not, is there
any interest in it? And if there is any interest, would pws
et al be OK with this being hosted on the official site[s]?
I would be willing to do any work needed to make this
fly.
Alternatively, I (or anyone else) could put up a repo on
repo.or.cz or a similar site.
Or we can just import for our own needs, keeping all
our repos seperate.

All options are fine, just looking for feedback :)

Richard

PS: No, I am not trying to convince anyone to switch
to any other VCS. People should use what they
prefer.

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-27  9:12 ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2008-12-27  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

[...]
> I would personally prefer a main git repo to pull from. I am
> aware that a decentralized VCS like git does not need any
> such thing, but I still prefer pulling from the official place,
> directly.
>
> So, does anything like this exist, already? [...]

There is
http://git.debian.org/?p=private/schizo/tailor/zsh-cvs/.git;a=summary

AFAICS, it's kept pretty much up-to-date to the CVS repo.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-27 13:55 ` Jörg Sommer
From: Jörg Sommer @ 2008-12-27 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi Richard,

> I know that several people maintain their ZSH sources with
> git, not CVS. While the script I adopted from Frank Terbeck's
> rsync-cvs-then-git-cvsimport script works just fine (and fast!),
> I would personally prefer a main git repo to pull from. I am
> aware that a decentralized VCS like git does not need any
> such thing, but I still prefer pulling from the official place,
> directly.

I'm using git://mika.l3ib.org/zsh-cvs.git

Bye, Jörg.
--
Je planmäßiger ein Mensch vorgeht,
desto stärker mag ihn der Zufall treffen.

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-27 14:52   ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2008-12-27 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jörg Sommer; +Cc: zsh-workers

2008/12/27 Jörg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de>:
> Hi Richard,

>> I know that several people maintain their ZSH sources with
>> git, not CVS. While the script I adopted from Frank Terbeck's
>> rsync-cvs-then-git-cvsimport script works just fine (and fast!),
>> I would personally prefer a main git repo to pull from. I am
>> aware that a decentralized VCS like git does not need any
>> such thing, but I still prefer pulling from the official place,
>> directly.
>
> I'm using git://mika.l3ib.org/zsh-cvs.git

I should perhaps note that this repo isn't automatically updated, it's
just a mirror of my working repo.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-28 10:56     ` Richard Hartmann
From: Richard Hartmann @ 2008-12-28 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: Jörg Sommer, zsh-workers

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 15:52, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I should perhaps note that this repo isn't automatically updated, it's
> just a mirror of my working repo.

Thanks for the info. I want 'my' upstream to be a few hours old at max
even though I am aware that zsh's cvs repo is not a very fast-moving
target (is that even proper english or is it germish?).

Richard

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-28 10:58   ` Richard Hartmann
From: Richard Hartmann @ 2008-12-28 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 10:12, Frank Terbeck <ft@bewatermyfriend.org> wrote:

> There is
> http://git.debian.org/?p=private/schizo/tailor/zsh-cvs/.git;a=summary
>
> AFAICS, it's kept pretty much up-to-date to the CVS repo.

I will poke him off-list to find out if there is a CRON in the
background. Thanks :)

Richard

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-29  0:09     ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2008-12-29  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Hartmann; +Cc: Zsh Workers

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 11:58:04AM +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> I will poke him off-list to find out if there is a CRON in the
> background. Thanks :)

14 */2 * * * tailor --configfile tailor-zsh

Times are UTC.

Sometimes I will run it by hand on those rare occasions when the
sourceforge anonymous CVS gateway updates in a timely fashion
and there's a patch I want to get over.

I recall someone posting here about a mirror that runs every minute,
which presumably lessens the sourceforge delay.

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-29  8:27       ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2008-12-29  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

hello all,

any chance to use git as official SCM ?

regards

@ 2008-12-29  8:59         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-12-29  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

On Dec 29,  9:27am, Marc Chantreux wrote:
}
} any chance to use git as official SCM ?

Highly unlikely at present.  I don't believe SourceForge supports it (if
they do, I couldn't find anything about it in a few minutes of poking).

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-29 11:25           ` Richard Hartmann
From: Richard Hartmann @ 2008-12-29 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh Workers

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:59, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:

> Highly unlikely at present.  I don't believe SourceForge supports it (if
> they do, I couldn't find anything about it in a few minutes of poking).

sourceforge.jp does, but the two are not related, afaik. SF.net supports
CVS and SVN, that's it.

That is one of the many reasons why SF.net is dead afaic. If ZSH were
to move to git, I would strongly suggest repo.or.cz. They offer a
'mob' user. This boils down to being able to allow anonymous commit
access to an extra branch called 'mob'. Anyone could then commit
to that branch and just send commit IDs to the mailing list. People
with proper access could cherry-pick the commits into master or
not as they see fit.

Richard

PS: I did not ask to _move_ to git on purpose. But as someone
else brought it up, I decided to chip in. git vs SVN et al is
similar to my zsh vs bash experience back then, though zsh
has a much more gentle learning curve & requires less change
of basic mindset.

* Re: zsh git repository?
@ 2008-12-29 12:16           ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2008-12-29 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Workers

Bart wrote:
> Highly unlikely at present.  I don't believe SourceForge supports it (if
> they do, I couldn't find anything about it in a few minutes of poking).

Why does the official SCM necessarily have to be hosted at SourceForge?

I'd be in favour of using git, in part because CVS isn't often easy
to access through a corporate firewall. I think git can use HTTP. It
would also make it easier to maintain local patches. However CVS works
well enough.

Oliver