zsh-workers
* issues with sourceforge
@ 2001-11-12 17:05 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2001-11-12 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://fsfeurope.org/news/article2001-10-20-01.en.html

I haven't looked at this closely enough to decide whether it should
affect us, but I thought I should bring it up just in case.

* Re: issues with sourceforge
@ 2001-11-12 17:59 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2001-11-12 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers, zsh-workers

Adam Spiers wrote:

> http://fsfeurope.org/news/article2001-10-20-01.en.html
>
> I haven't looked at this closely enough to decide whether it should
> affect us, but I thought I should bring it up just in case.

I don't think it is anything to worry about. The article is probably
just the FSF exerting pressure on VA, fearing this might be the thin
edge of the wedge.

The only risk to us is with the tracker which we don't use extensively
anyway - a few bugs and 3.0.8 patches. If the services provided by
Sourceforge were to rely on commericial software, we could not move to
an alternative like Savannah because the alternative would need to use
the commercial software. We'd in theory be locked in to Sourceforge
unless we converted our data to a free alternative. CVS is not at risk
and that is our main use of Sourceforge.

The only thing we should do is ensure we have a backup of everything we
have on Sourceforge (or anywhere else for that matter). We can download
a tarball of the CVS repository. The best way to backup the 3.0.8
patches might actually be to release a 3.0.9/3.0.8a. The Solaris 9
preview still comes with 3.0.8 and there might be places where people
are still using 3.0 intentionally but want bug fixes.

Oliver

http://www.messagelabs.com/stats.asp