zsh-workers
* can't make
@ 2014-11-19  0:34 Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2014-11-19  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

All,

I was making away, trying a few things, then I tried this:

     $ ./configure --enable-zsh-debug

And the result was this:

     $ make -s
     cd .. && /bin/sh $top_srcdir/Src/mkmakemod.sh Src Makemod
     creating Src/Makemod.in
     config.status: creating Src/Makemod
     /bin/sh: 2: cd: can't cd to zsh.mdd
     Makemod:374: recipe for target 'headers' failed
     make[2]: *** [headers] Error 1
     Makefile:452: recipe for target 'headers' failed
     make[1]: *** [headers] Error 2
     make: *** [all] Error 1

... I configured plain vanilla again, but still get 'make' errors.
FWIW 'zsh.mdd' was there, but it's a file, not a directory. I
deleted it and tried again.  This time:

    config.status: executing config.modules commands
    creating ./config.modules
    ./config.status: 41: ./config.modules.sh: Syntax error: end of file
    unexpected (expecting ")")
    Makefile:378: recipe for target 'config.modules' failed
    make: *** [config.modules] Error 2

... I noticed that 'config.modules.sh' was much shorter than before, so
I copied in an untouched version. Reran './configure' and 'make -s'
but the error was the same.

I tried again in a virgin copy and './configure --enable-zsh-debug' worked
fine, so whatever was wrong above must have been something I did and
it's probably not worth worrying about, but if anyone does have an insight
into what went wrong, and why I can't restore it, I'd be grateful.
Particularly that 'zsh.mdd' being a file, not a directory, seems very
strange.

* Re: can't make
@ 2014-11-19  2:56 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-11-19  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Nov 18,  4:34pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
}
} Particularly that 'zsh.mdd' being a file, not a directory, seems very
} strange.

zsh.mdd is SUPPOSED to be a file.  You broke something way upstream of
whatever coughed up that error.

* Re: can't make
@ 2014-11-19  5:07   ` Ray Andrews
From: Ray Andrews @ 2014-11-19  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 11/18/2014 06:56 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:

Bart,
> zsh.mdd is SUPPOSED to be a file.  You broke something way upstream of
> whatever coughed up that error.

This is what made me think it must be a dir:

     /bin/sh: 2: cd: can't cd to zsh.mdd

... how does one 'cd' to a file?

Never mind tho, unless you can think of something obvious.  It was all
fine until I
tried '--enable-zsh-debug', so whatever I broke was latent until then, I
thought
that might somehow make the error easier to track down.  Doesn't really
matter.